Author Topic: Router listed but different firmware  (Read 17248 times)

Offline Daniel Casden

• PcWinTech Member
Router listed but different firmware
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »
Hi,

My router is listed which is the D-Link - DIR-868L but my firmware is 2.01 not v1. I am guessing that is the reason that the program cannot access my router. On the other hand by reading alot of things from your website I have managed to open all of them except port 80 and 443 tcp. I believe my isp is preventing communication but I am trying to research how to open them up anyway. For example, I will try to open port 8080 on the thomson and then 80 on my D-Link, but I am guessing it must be trickier than this. Anyhow if you can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Daniel

PcWinTech.com Forums

Router listed but different firmware
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Router listed but different firmware
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
Most of the time you dont need to open those ports, most games may say they need them but they are talking about letting your firewall software letting that through so that the game can talk to a web site, so you normally dont need to forward those ports.

Also the router normally uses those ports as well and is normally why those port wont forward.  :wink:

As for the program, what happens when it tries to update the router, can you post a screen shot fo the program trying so i can see where it is having trouble?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Daniel Casden

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:51:02 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the quick response! :)  :smiley: In all honesty I have already opened all ports except 80 and 443, which like I had mentioned I was able to earlier. I was a customer of Port Forward Network Utility but they sucked.... seriosly. I have gotten my money back from them and was able to figure out how to open my ports on my own, (Your Site and program were very helpful! I thought you might like to update the driver...... its the reason I started even looking into port forwarding is because I had an old plan with my ISP for a 10 meg download and 1 upload and switched to a 30 download and 2 upload.... Supposed to work better but have had lagg problems with League of Legends ever since. When they replaced my modem they only had one that had a router and I thought that was the problem but now in light of what you have said and the fact that all other ports are opened I am starting to think it could be something else. Perhaps like Panda and Malwarebytes running on the same computer. I even have system mechanic now ..... all of this has helped but still I experience lagggg. No idea what to do at this point... I am now looking into a possible driver update that caused this but its highly unlikely since the whole problem started after I upgraded my isp speed. The other modem is a Thomson.... HELP!!!??

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
Yeah, looks like the firmware version they totally changed the pages.

As for lag, it sounds like it might be more of a ping problem, doesnt matter the speed but matters the ping.

If it was a driver problem then you would lag in single player games, but even with only games lag can happen as well, but if it wasnt lagging on the system with the other isp then it isnt drivers. I would check your ping time and see what you get. That might be the problem.

Of course if your router that you have from the ISP is a thomson, they have a lot of known bugs with their firewall crap in there scanning everything and causing problems, you would need to find a way to disable that and it may also help.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Daniel Casden

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 04:17:27 AM »
Hi!
Disabling the firewall on my thomson is easy, but that leaves me without a firewall. Is that okay?

I use panda antivirus and malwarebytes, the firewall is set to low on the thomson and the d-link router is set to enable filter IPv4 and deny the rules listed.

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
Yes you will be ok, even without a firewall setting a router is still a hardware based firewall, this is worth a fast read
http://www.pcwintech.com/what-port-forwarding-nutshell

So you can see how it drops connections it doesnt know what machine to send to, and thus that is how it protects you, since not every connection can get to you :-)

In the d-link you dont want any filter rules, filter means block :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Daniel Casden

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:55:17 PM »
Okay I think that I have the D-Link functioning the best that it can and since your help my connection seems to lagg much less... but still laggs sometimes.... should i be using port triggers on the thomson??? and if Yes how? If there is anything else worth mentioning it would be much appreciated. Plus, I had already read that site, it had helped me to enable the DMZ, Just one quick question I had forgotten about the D-Link..... Should I enable DMZ as well there?

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
Normally any game or site that is hosted on the net you dont need to do any port forwarding for. That is because you are connecting to them, they are not connecting to you. So when you connect to them the connection is established and the router knows how to handle it. It is only when a new connection from the outside tries to connect to you, the router doesnt know what device to send it to so it drops the connection attempt. Thus why you use port forwarding.

But a lot of routers have a lot of built in things now that scan every packet going in and out and if the router doesnt have a strong cpu in it then it can be slow at scanning those packets, making the game lag because the connection is taking longer.

So by disabling a lot of those checks and turning off anything you dont need on in the router then the cpu is used less and the router doesnt have as much work to do, keeping the connection from slowing down. :wink:

DMZ is a open every port rule and will have your computer totally open to the net. So better to just dmz the thomson to the d-link and have dmz disabled in the d-link. That way all new connections automaticlly go to the d-link where you can use port forwarding like normal.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Daniel Casden

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »
Hi Shane,

Its been a while since we last spoke and wanted to know if you have any advice or could possibly help me with something. I used DNS benchmark and have managed to configure pretty much everything right, except when it comes to something they call a remote nameserver. I dont know if I should attempt to configure this on the dlink or the thomson, I think dlink and am at a loss at how to do it. I imagine it would be pretty easy since the model of my router and the firmware or software is pretty user friendly. Can you give me any advice regarding this. In addition I am trying to enable netDMS on my bios for the motherboard but am unable to find anything related to it. Does it go by another or different name in my bios?

Appreciate any help you can offer

Thanks

Daniel

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 11:57:58 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, I have been moving to our new home and havent had time to get back tot he posts. Hit me up next week and I should be back to normal lol :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 11:57:58 AM »

email