Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: CleanMem not keeping track of System Uptime properly....  (Read 17562 times)

Offline 4EverMaAT

• PcWinTech Member
CleanMem not keeping track of System Uptime properly....
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:06:07 AM »
2 problems,

1) CleanMem not keeping track of system uptime properly.  It shows 6 days, but the Task Manager Performance tab shows 105 days

2) is there a way to also show the % of memory used on the mem monitor?

I cannot figure out how to insert attachment as a photo image.

PcWinTech.com Forums

CleanMem not keeping track of System Uptime properly....
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:06:07 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: CleanMem not keeping track of System Uptime properly....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:09:22 PM »
Click on the system up time at the top, a menu will drop down, it is currently set to pull the time up via the Windows API which has a 49 day max. Set it to use the performance monitor instead, which has no limit :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline 4EverMaAT

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »
Click on the system up time at the top, a menu will drop down, it is currently set to pull the time up via the Windows API which has a 49 day max. Set it to use the performance monitor instead, which has no limit :wink:

Shane
That did it.  Why not have a function that switches to the performance monitor when max is hit?

What is the difference between the 2 functions anyway?  Why would one be preferred for the other?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 02:30:33 AM »
No way for my program to tell if the API is past the 49 days. The reason I have both is because some users have disabled their performance counters on the system, so the program isnt able to pull it. The API Windows gives is limited but is the most reliable way.

Normally it is good to shut down the machine at the end of the day instead of leave it on, or at least reboot once a day or at once a week. Mainly because of memory leaks, bad drivers, hiccups and so on. There is a reason the joke of "Have you turned it off and on again?" is funny, because it is true, half the time a reboot fixes things because everything gets refreshed.

So not to many people have a system on without rebooting for that long. Considering even if they did and had Windows updates enabled they would have to reboot once a month after the Microsoft patch Tuesday hits :-)

But different machines, different people and different situations. So there is no right answer on this one. I just decided to go with the API as the default, if the API had a way of letting me know it is past then I could put a switch in for it. But when the limit is hit, instead of resetting to zero it normally starts going backwards lol.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline 4EverMaAT

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »
Understood.  I run a server for trading derivatives, and uptime is critical.  It is possible to reboot on the weekends, but really it would restart algos running and you may lose information that you had to collect in real-time to process.  There are recovery options built-in, but it's for emergencies.  You really want to be 'always on', with only planned restarts.

Once you get the server like you want it, and close off unnecessary ports (with proper firewall), you can disable windows update service....only allow win update when you want (usually before a scheduled reboot).

Many years ago, there was a time where forced reboots on the weekend were normal.  But over the last 7 years especially, hardware visualization has made 99.999% uptime very easy on the cloud level. The hosting company still does regular weekly maintenance.  They will sometimes switch users to a different 'node' which takes seconds (no reboot or logoff required) if there is hardware that needs to be replaced.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 06:08:48 PM »