Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: CleanMem Monitor freezing (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)  (Read 21989 times)

Offline Celtic-Coder

• PcWinTech Member
CleanMem Monitor freezing (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:11:17 AM »
Hi Shane,

The icon in the taskbar seemed to be at the same value for a period of time. Nothing happened when I tried to right-click it or hover over the icon. I opened another CleanMem Mini Monitor process and a second icon appeared on the task bar.

I tried to reply to the CleanMem Mini Monitor freezes up thread, but there was no Reply option.

I am running CleanMem 2.50 on an HP desktop running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit with 6G of memory.

Thanks!
Liam.

PcWinTech.com Forums

CleanMem Monitor freezing (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:11:17 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: CleanMem Monitor freezing (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
Try to give me as much info as you can, I need to try and track down what the cause is. :wink:

Does it happen after anything in particular is done? Such as coming out of sleep mode or anything like that.

Can you think of any common factor that seems to be a trigger to it happening?

I can fix any bug, IF I can replicate it. So far the hardest part on this one is so few people have had it happen and I havent been able to replicate it. So if I can find what might be a cause and replicate it I can find the bug in the code that doesnt like it :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:07:02 AM »
- I know Cleanmem sometimes has a "conflict" with the Taskbar, "Explorer.exe" and one or more Services. Then tray icons (e.g. Cleanmem's) don't show up.
- Add a five minute delay to all Cleanmem related tasks in Task Scheduler. (I did that too myself and now the icon does show up without problems) Perhaps then the problem disappears.
- What's showing up in Task Manager ? High CPU ? High memory usage ?

Offline Celtic-Coder

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 12:28:16 PM »
Hi Shane,

I have read Simon Tatham's How to Report Bugs Effectively, but unfortunately, I feel bad that I do not have more specific details to share!  :sad:

The "freezing" seems to happen after long use at the computer.  I have found, for example, that it happens when I have quite a number of tabs open in my FireFox browser and that the CPU usage was going into the red (greater than 75%). I have stopped using Firefox and the CPU usage is now normally only in the yellow, but the freezing still happens.

Is there any software that I could run to help to diagnose the situation? Resource Monitor or something from SysInternals?

I suspect that there must be a memory leak somewhere as rebooting my PC seems to be the only solution to the freezing. Please let me know how I might be able to help further with this issue.

Thanks!
Liam.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »
No need to reboot, if the mini monitor freezes just open task manager, go to the processes tab and kill the mini monitor, then you can go reopen it again and it will work like it was.

The mini monitor calls multiple windows apis to pull the current system stats on the memory, file cache, processes and so on. The only thing I can think of is that one of those apis hiccups and doesn't return the proper data the program is excepting and so the program gets stuck in a loop.

If you are up for it I could make a new test version of the mini monitor and in it I will go through all the loops that are in it and put a max of how many times the loop will go before it exits the loop, this way it wont be able to ever get stuck in a loop :wink:

Then if that seems to fix it up I can put out a new version.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Celtic-Coder

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the tip about stopping the "Mini_Monitor.exe" process. Saves time rebooting (which I should do it more often, in any case!)
Sure, I have no problem with running a test version of the program, glad to help!

Thanks!
Liam.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
I will try to have a test build done this week :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 05:21:53 AM »
- I also have problems with CM (25% CPU) but it only happens once every say 2 months. I then kill the process & restart the program. I know I have this problem because then the cooling fan keeps revving. Didn't think it was important.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 01:36:20 PM »
Ok lets give this first test build a try.

Replace the exe with this one and let me know if things seem better :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Celtic-Coder

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »
Hi Shane,

Thanks very much for the new exe! For some reason, I was not alerted to the new posting to this thread, but not to worry. I have replaced the exe and it is working away fine. So far, the icon is showing green rather than yellow, so the performance is very much improved for a similar system load as in the past.

If there is ever a further issue with freezing, is there a log written somewhere that could be used for trouble shooting? In the application event log, for instance? Or is this version meant to be self-correcting?

Thanks!
Liam.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
No I dont have it write any log or anything, in this new build I found multiple loops that I put checks in to have them get out of the loop if they go over so many times, I also removed the snapping effect the monitor had with the edge of the screen, the reason why is to do that I had to subclass and hook into the system messages, which subclassing is the most common way for a program to crash or freeze.

So let me know after some time passes if you think the freezing problem is fixed :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Celtic-Coder

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
Hi Shane,

Thanks very much for the updated program! The program only froze once - when both my wife and I were logged into the same PC and I had left my logged in session running for several days. (One of the rare times when I am away from my home PC for more than a day!).

So far, there has not been any particular problems. Even when the icon is showing "red", I have been able to manually run both the "Clean Memory Now" and "Clean Cache Now" options and it is only rarely that it has not at least returned to a "yellow" state.

So far, so good! Thanks again, Shane!

Regards,
Liam.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »
Awesome :-)

Ok good, Willy had some requests to do in the next update, so I will work on those and then get a new version out :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline 4EverMaAT

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »
I want to add that when windows 7 does a windows update (even just to check for updates, not necessarily download or update anything), it uses massive RAM and some cpu in order to do this.  I had issues with my Win200864bit server certain programs were not working after a while and occasionally I could not login.  then I finally found out that the major cause which was causing memory usage to become full was windows checking for updates.  It could use as much as 2GB ram in the checking/upgrading process + 1-2 processors; and that is on my laptop 4 processors and 12GB ram (8gb free most of the time without using multiple tabs in the browsers).

I was told to upgrade from 2 processors to 4, and then increase my ram.  But I had a feeling that there was more to it.  I disabled the windows update service and nearly all of my problems were solved.  You can now leave the server unattended for months at a time and when you log in it is exactly how you left it with little extra memory usage:  just like the cloud intended.

memory in the cloud from a private company can get expensive.  But beyond that, windows update shouldn't be using so much resources to check or upgrade a product....ohhhhh Microsoft.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »