Author Topic: How do I portforward with a modem and a router (did read the text on the website  (Read 15310 times)

Offline Pieter1975

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Hi,

I use the SPF pro version.
I am a total noob at this portforwarding.

This is the problem:
Modem/router 1 is a ciscoEPC3928AD
Then I have router 2: TPLink TL-WDR1043ND

I need to open some ports for couple of games etc.

Please think with me:
I began portforwarding the CISCO. But I cant make it work.
I selected the CISCO as my router
But: then I have to select my Router IP. I only have 1 adapter and it shows the gateway / IP from not my Cisco, but my TP-link. Plus also my static adress is made from that same IP.
I dont get this. What am I missing and how do I proceed?

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
#1 I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm

There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

#2 Advice

a) Make sure that all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port router (TPLink TL-WDR1043ND).

b) Make sure that the RJ-45 WAN port of your RJ-45 WAN port router is connected to the LAN port of the modem.

c) and put the broadband modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

d) OR if the ISP does not want to help you put the modem combo into bridge mode, since you are on Cable: Get a cable modem that is not a cable modem combo, that has a web based UI (or Telnet OR ftp or SNMP). Does not require for example a special program http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/linux/linux.php

For example of a cable modem that is not a cable modem combo, that has a web based UI (or Telnet OR ftp or SNMP) is the Motorola SB6141.

While I do not know what your ISP is, I found some info that says that modem combos should be put into bridge mode (or use a standalone modem and a standalone router).

#1 I point to DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> O Canada! -> Canadian -> Rogers -> [Modem/Router] Can the Rogers WIFI Modem be set to Bridge Mode & turn off WIFI? the reply by DSLR user puzz1ed (#1162591) on 2015-Feb-15 at 2:32 pm

#2 I point to DSLR(dslreports.com) ->Forums -> Broadband Tech ->  Networking -> Between the 2 witch one should I pick???

a) the reply by DSLR user Nightfall (#443491) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:24 am

b) the reply by DSLR user BlueMist (#1780151) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:33 am

#3 I point to DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> [Internet] I'm hoping for modem/router advice the reply by DSLR user rchandra (#237843) on 2015-Feb-3 at 8:50 pm

#4 I point to DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Charter Internet/TV -> Does Charter Use A Separate Modem and Router?

a) the reply by DSLR user arbit3r9 (#237843) on 2015-Jan-17 at 1:43 am

b) the reply by DSLR user Dogg (#824865) on 2015-Jan-21 at 12:09 pm

#5 I point to DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> Suggestions for Cable modem Router Combo

a) the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-11 at 6:32 pm

b) the reply by DSLR user unoriginal (#171629) on 2015-Jan-13 at 1:30 am

c)  the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-13 at 2:55 am
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:22:04 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Pieter1975

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Thanks for the help.

Now I am a total noob. So I get really confused easily by all those terms.
Long story short. I removed the TP-link and forwarded the Cisco SUCCESSFULLY!

Only thing is: the porttester says the ports are open. But when I test online those sites show me a DIFFERENT IP and the ports being closed.
Do I need to forward to that adress too?

For instance: I need to open port 5739 for PES 2015 (UDP). I cant enter the game without. If I disable UPD I can enter, but cant play online. So: that port is still closed...

Oh and my ISP: its Ziggo, and they dont help with this kind of stuff... at all...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:06:46 AM by Pieter1975 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
If my port tester says the ports are open you can count that they are :-)

Just like it says on the port tester page

Most online port testers fail no matter what if nothing accepts their connection attempt. This port tester program will open the port on the system it is running on and listen for a connection from this site. So when the port tester program says the ports are open you can count that they are :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Pieter1975

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
OK. But then WHY cant I play PES 2015 online? If i disable UDP I can play offline, If I dont the game crashes right after startup.. If it isnt the portforwarding then it should be something else. Right untill january i had a different ISP and a different modem/router and it worked fine.

BTW: I entered all ports in the firewall..

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
So if the game crashes when you have UPnP enabled, which is auto port forwarding, then it looks like the game either has a bug in the UPnP code it uses or there is a bug in the router that is sending back the wrong info and causing the game to freak out.

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for your modem from the ISP?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Pieter1975

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Thanks for thinking with me.

What I did was: get rid of the TP=link router (for now). I portforwarded all necessary ports succesfully in the modem. I came to a similar conclusion that its either the game or the router. I contacted Konami and now I have a lively email contact. Yesterday I sent a bunch of printscreens with the modem settings, firewall settings, evidence that the ports are open, etc. etc.  So: im gonna take my chances and let this play out.

But according to the helpdesk more people have this problem. For they told me a different customer told them he found a solution in switching from fullscreen - to windowed mode. Didnt help for me. But it might mean it s an in-game thing. Also a lot of Steam-customers are complaining. But they complain to Steam and not Konami. Hope they are aware now of the problem.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
So it sounds like it is more of a problem with the game (Poorly written UPnP code perhaps) and that's why it is crashing.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

email