Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: ATT NVG 510 dynamic ip  (Read 13298 times)

Offline harleydhog

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
ATT NVG 510 dynamic ip
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:55:52 PM »
Hi, I'm working with a ATT NVG 510 unit with a dynamic ip address. I have a CCTV DVR behind it. Basically,I need to have remote access to the DVR via DDNS on a secondary router or some other solution. I've read different ways to put a router behind it via IP Passthrough or Default Server settings but can't afford to screw it up as it's a business open 7 days a week. If I put it in IP Passthrough mode, will I still be able to get back in to the NVG 510  and change it back if something goes wrong without doing a complete reset? If someone has dealt with this problem before or has any suggestions on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated. I install CCTV systems but this NVG is a real pain. Thanks.

PcWinTech.com Forums

ATT NVG 510 dynamic ip
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:55:52 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: ATT NVG 510 dynamic ip
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
So the ATT NVG will give a locl IP to the 2nd router, which in turn will be the 2nd routers WAN IP.

So say the ATT has a local IP of 192.168.1.1 then it will hand a IP to the 2nd router like normal, so then 2nd routers WAN Ip would be 192.168.1.150 (As an example)

What you can do is make sure the 2nd router has a static WAN IP, then in the ATT just port forwarding the ports you need open to the 2nd router

so say port 80 and 9000

2 port forwarding rules in the att for those ports and points to 192.168.1.150 (Or what ever the WAN Ip of the 2nd router is)

Then in the 2nd router, you will notice its local Ip is on a different Ip range, since it cant be the same as the WAN IP. So in the 2nd router you port forward to the DVR like normal.

So say the local ip of the 2nd router is 192.168.2.1 and the dvr IP is 192.168.2.250

In the 2nd router just port forward the same ports to 192.168.2.50

Thats it, you are just making a chain all the way through.

This is worth a fast read and it will help you understand how port forwarding works and see that it is simple :-)
http://www.pcwintech.com/what-port-forwarding-nutshell

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline harleydhog

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Hi Shane, thanks for the quick reply. So you're saying that if I give my linksys router a static ip and forward ports as you said, the linksys ddns will be able to detect and update changes to the dynamic ip assigned to the NVG by ATT? Harley

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
On the ddns I dont know. It depends if the linksys connects to the net to pull the current internet Ip or if it uses the WAN Ip it has. If it does use the WAN Ip then having the ddns info in the linksys wont work, so instead see if your router has a ddns option. But you can try and see how the linksys does. After the linksys updates the ddns name just open a cmd.exe window and ping the ddns name.

When you do you will see the IP that is returned for the ddns name and it should be your internet IP. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »