Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: D-Link DIR-655 Parental Controls - trying to NEVER block certain machines  (Read 22627 times)

Offline notebc

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Hi - I have close to 20 devices on my router - some for young children, some for adults.  I would like to block all the kids at 9:30, but leave the adult devices active.  So, I added a policy to with a schedule of 9pm-8am * for ALL OTHER MACHINES * BLOCK ALL ACCESS, then another policy to NEVER * BLOCK ALL ACCESS for the specific MAC addresses of the adult devices, but it doesn't seem to work - everything goes off at 9pm.  Anybody have any advice if this is supposed to work like I'm doing?  Thanks . . . .

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
You dont want to have the devices in more than one rule, because while one rule says to allow it the other rule says dont and so it gets blocked, in other words the rules conflict with each other.

So you will need to make sure that the adult devices are not in the other rule and then have the adult devices in a rule of their own :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline notebc

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
hmmm . . . if you could work me through this . . .
Let's say I have one computer I want ALWAYS ON.  So I set a policy to NEVER * BLOCK ALL ACCESS  for that computer's MAC address.
Then, I have want all the other devices to be blocked at 9:30pm - ALWAYS * set 9:30 schedule *  OTHER MACHINES * BLOCK ALL ACCESS.
Unfortunately, at 9:30 - all the computers go off - even the one(s) with the NEVER BLOCK policy.  I must be missing something.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Did you make sure that the block policy doesnt have the mac address of the one you dont want to block, or is it blocking by local Ip address instead of mac address?

Can you post a screen shot of the settings of both rules so I can look at them?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums