Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Laptop  (Read 12652 times)

Offline NerBuster

• PcWinTech Full Member
Windows 8.1 Laptop
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »
Okay, my friend had just gotten a new Asus laptop running Windows 8.1. He never owned a pc before in his life, so he has done some stupid things lately.
First, he got steam and some games, along with other programs. (Firefox, 7zip, etc.) But he was complaining of his pc acting slow. So he downloaded a
rouge antivirus. (Actually it was a Potentially Unwanted Program, but I dont really know the difference.) So I was able to uninstall it for him. Couple days ater, he started bothering me about his pc again. Went over there, and his laptop had gotten so slow that it would freeze up when he tried to log in. Since I couldnt really do anything, I wiped it. Now, when he logs in, it goes to a black screen and Im not really sure what to do at this point. The only thing that I found was that he installed another P.U.P pc registry cleaner. Like I said, Im stumped and he wont leave me alone about it.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Windows 8.1 Laptop
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Windows 8.1 Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
First, tell him to stop installing stuff lol

Then, download my Windows Repair tool here
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

You will see a direct download link in the middle top of the page. Not the very top, that is an Ad.

Then once he has it, you might have to put it on a thumb drive, have him boot into safe mode with networking.

When it comes up, if it is still a black screen, have him hit ctrl + alt + del and see if the task manager opens, if it does have him go to file and new task and put in explorer.exe. That should get the desktop back, then run my Windows Repair tool, make sure it does a registry backup first and then run all the repairs on it. It can take a while, but once done have him reboot and see how the system does.

Anything goes wrong you can restore the registry from the backup you have it create. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline NerBuster

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
Okay, Ill do that when I go over there. On another note, could you explain to me the difference between a rouge anti-virus and a P.U.P? Im not really sure what the difference is.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 05:51:07 AM »
Both pretty much the same, PUP is potentially unwanted program, and a rouge anti virus is an antvirus that doesnt do crap, so pretty much the same thing. Just a way for people to tell them apart I guess lol.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline NerBuster

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
Okay, well, he gave up waiting on me to come fix it. (I had been EXTREMELY busy and I couldnt find my usb) So he sent it to the manufacturer. Will they actually do anything?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
They will wipe it and put the factory image back on. Thats all they ever do when it comes to software.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline NerBuster

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
Okay, Im not sure if I should make a new topic or not, but it is the same person. He just got his laptop back from the manufacturer. He now wipes the hard drive for EVERY. SINGLE. THING. He even told me that he wiped his laptop after his games were slow. So I asked him what he installed. He gave me a list that was almost 1 minutes and a half long. How can I explain to him the problem with wiping the hard drive for every problem? I tried to explain, but he didnt understand since he doesnt really know anything, considering this is his first laptop.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
Not sure how to tell that to him, I mean basically he is going to lose any files and settings he has. BUT if he doesnt really have much and given how many times he makes the system crash from installing a lot of crap software, a restore isnt to bad of an idea lol

But some of the problems with that is as time goes on it is going to get more and more out of date, think of all the windows updates you have to do after, all the out dated software. Not a good idea, but having a proper backup going for him would be a good idea.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »