Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: IP Address Change  (Read 18732 times)

Offline Human After All

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
IP Address Change
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
I've searched guides on how to change my public IP (specifically for Netgear DGN2200), and cannot seem to find any solutions. Apparently, my IP is dynamic, but it has not changed for the years that my family has had this router. If you decide to take this on, send me a message if you need any more information. Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:52:49 PM by Human After All »

PcWinTech.com Forums

IP Address Change
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: IP Address Change
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »
The cmd window screen shot isnt needed, that only shows you your local IP which the computer gets from the netgear. Nothing to do with the internet Ip you get from the ISP :wink:

Your ISP is in control on the internet IP. You cant make them give you a new one if they dont want to. But normally ISPs do change your internet IP unless you pay them for a static internet IP. This is because they dont want people hosting things and so change the internet IP on them.

Normally if the internet IP is set to change on their end then just unplugging the power to the netgear and any other modem you may have for a few minutes and then plug it back in will be enough to get a new internet IP. But if your ISP never changes it there isnt anything you can do about changing it unless you call them :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »
I agree with Shane and will add my two cents.

Normally users use DNS (Dynamic Domain Name Service) to connect to servers that they want to connect to and because not everyone has a static IP, DDNS(Dynamic Domain Name Service) was invented.

Go find a DDNS provider so that you can get your own domain name that follows your public/non bogan IP Address. Note that are some free DDNS providers out there, so that you do not have to pay money...
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »