Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: CleanMem Mini Monitor freezes up  (Read 11932 times)

Offline AstroSkipper

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
CleanMem Mini Monitor freezes up
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:52 AM »
Hi, I'm a registered user of the CleanMem Pro version using Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1 and CleanMem 2.5.0 on a Fujitsu notebook. My processor is an Intel Core i3 370M with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD and 2 GB of ram. After starting Windows CleanMem shows more than 70% ram usage and then freezes up. No reaction by clicking on the tray icon. The process has frozen up before clicking the icon. In my task manager (Process Hacker) I could see process activity of Mini Monitor although it didn't respond by clicking the tray icon and the monitor was frozen up. If I don't start CleanMem Mini Monitor automatically only scheduled background task I can't determine any problems so far. Therefore I think I have a problem with the Mini Monitor. I use CleanMem on all processes. Do I have to use special settings for Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD due to shared memory feature? Or maybe adding processes of Windows 7 Professional to the ignore list and if so which one? Any ideas to get rid of my problem? Anyway I need help. Thanks in advance  :confused:

P.S.: After testing CleanMem profoundly on my system I can say CleanMem Mini Monitor crashes itself even without doing anything some minutes after starting windows. In my opinion there is a general problem using the Mini Monitor under Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1. Same problem with CleanMem 2.4.3. Terminating and restarting of Mini_Monitor.exe is possible. Does anyone run CleanMem Mini Monitor successfully on a similar system? Apart from that there are no other problems in my system. It works like a charm. By the way I never had any problems using CleanMem under Windows XP Professional 32 Bit.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:53:55 AM by AstroSkipper, Reason: Corrections and more information »

PcWinTech.com Forums

CleanMem Mini Monitor freezes up
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:12:52 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: CleanMem Mini Monitor freezes up
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
I use the mini monitor all the time on windows 7 64 bit and havent had it lock up, so I am curious what variable is on your system that might be causing it.

Lets see if we can find out :-)

Also cleanmem itslef runs every 15 min from the task scheduler by default, unless you disabled it. The mini monitor is separate.

Lets see if we can find what is different that might be causing the program to lockup. Do you notice any common factors? Such as certain programs running, certain amount of time. Does it do it again after you restart it or does it only do it when it is loaded at startup?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline AstroSkipper

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »
Hi Shane, thanks for replying. CleanMem runs every 15 min from the task scheduler by default with all file cache options disabled. In the Mini Monitor cleaning of ram is enabled every 5 min at a level of 75%. CleanMem background task runs as it should do. I have set CleanMem on all processes and have logging enabled in the Task Scheduler which says all tasks successfully executed. I tried to start CleanMem Mini Monitor automatically. It works some minutes after starting as it should do but suddenly the Mini Monitor freezes up even without doing anything. Sometimes just before freezing up I can see two frozen cleanmem.exe processes in my task manager or a frozen mini_monitor_set_startup.exe and sometimes only the Mini_Monitor.exe. I tried higher rights and priorities of the processes with no results. Mini Monitor starts automatically with the priority "below normal" which can't be set higher (in spite of logged as admin) and strangely enough after restarting Mini Monitor manually its priority is "normal". I have made exclusions in my Avast Internet Security and tried to use the ignore list unfortunately unsuccessfully. After restarting the Mini Monitor it seems to work longer. I can't say how much longer I have to test it. But as far as I remember it crashes too in some cases but I can't say this without fail as a result of early rebooting of my notebook. Starting automatically with Windows means crashing in any case. I had a lot of reboots and restarts in the last days due to testing CleanMem. The Mini Monitor is the only program I can't get work on my notebook. Maybe there is a conflict with another program or service. Are there any known conflicts concerning the Mini Monitor? AstroSkipper :thinking:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:01:03 PM by AstroSkipper, Reason: Corrections and more information »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »
Can you confirm that cleanmem.exe gets frozen as well? Because that would surprise me, cleanmem.exe is very basic, it starts up, loops through the processes running and calls the command and then closes. Normally cleanmem itself isnt open for longer than a second or two.

The mini monitor also loops through all the running processes when using the advanced monitor. I wonder if the problem is something with it looping through the processes? It just calls a Windows api to give it a list of running programs. Do you have any programs running that have unicode chars in the file name at all? I am trying to think why it would have trouble with it just calling that api.

Also make sure avast isnt sandboxing the programs. If it is it might because the problem because then the program loops through the running programs it keeps looping until the API says there is no more. Otherwise it would keeping going through the loop till then.

Do me a fav and send me the mini monitor settings ini file. Email it to me, dont post it. I will use the same settings you are on my system and see if I have any trouble.

I can fix any bug as long as I can replicate it. So my goal right now is to try and replicate the problem :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline AstroSkipper

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
Hi Shane. sorry for the late reply. I felt sick and under par. So I was offline the last days. I'll send you my setting file by email tomorrow. Thanks for helping me.  :smiley: Best regards

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »