Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: 2nd and 3rd ports tested always fail  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Bweb

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
2nd and 3rd ports tested always fail
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
I'm having a strange problem with the simple port tester. No matter what, the second and third ports I test report as failed. I've attached a screenshot showing this happening. Is this indicative of a problem with my ports, or is it just the tester acting funny? I have no idea.

I'm no expert at any of this. I've been wrestling with port forwarding all night. I'm no stranger to having to do it and have successfully forwarded plenty of ports in the past (I play a lot of online games), but this was my first go at it after moving, and it just wasn't working. I didn't realize I was behind two routers until I found your site and did the DMZ thing to make the sneaky one stop interfering (I've never touched that stuff before, but I'm preeetty sure I did it properly; I wasn't seeing any successes until I did.)

The worst part of all this is, I don't even know if the problem I'm having will be fixed by port forwarding -- it's just the latest thing a game's support staff has suggested I try in order to attempt to fix some goofy disconnect issue I suddenly started having with their game. So I can't reliably check if the ports are forwarded properly or not other than the port tester, because the ports might not be the solution at all! But I need to know for sure that my problem still occurs despite all the right ports being open, so I gotta find out what the deal with these dang ports showing up as failed is. :sad:

PcWinTech.com Forums

2nd and 3rd ports tested always fail
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: 2nd and 3rd ports tested always fail
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
That is a odd bug, havent seen that happen with the program on any of my machines. I wonder if your firewall software might be doing it, where it allows the program on the first port and blocks the next two then allows all the rest again.

I am just shooting in the dark, but that would line up with what is happening. :smiley:

But point being is if the program says the ports are open then you can count that they are. My port tester opens the port on the computer and listens on those ports and for a connection from my site, it will only say successful if it gets a connection attempt while listening on the port. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: 2nd and 3rd ports tested always fail
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »