Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Solution to Arris DG860A Port Forwarding Problem  (Read 23561 times)

Offline MrZpl0tx

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Solution to Arris DG860A Port Forwarding Problem
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
I finally got my new TWC Arris DG860A Digital Gateway (cable modem plus router plus WiFi) to forward ports to my personal web server so I can access my Wiki and my network storage from anywhere in the Internet.  I thought this audience may appreciate the solution.

Here is what they don't tell you.

• Port forwarding only works when the firewall is enabled.
  • The IP address specified in the virtual server definition must be a Fixed DHCP Client.  In other words, the Arris DG860A must be configured to always give the same IP address to the server's host.
  • The server's host must be configured to use DHCP to obtain its IP address.  Do not configure the host to use a static address.
  • The IP address configured in the Fixed DHCP Client definition must be in the range configured for dynamic IP addresses.

Step 1.  Find the MAC address of your server's host.

The procedure will depend on your host.  In my case, I just connected the host's Ethernet to the Arris DG860A, used my browser to log into http://192.168.0.1 (the default IP address of the Arris DG860A), clicked the LAN Setup tab, and clicked on the DHCP link.  The host's IP address and MAC address appears in the resulting DHCP Clients List.

In Windows, you can enter the ipconfig /all in a command prompt and look for the Physical Address reported for the Ethernet adapter you use.

In Linux, you can use the ifconfig command in a terminal window and look for the HWaddr for the Ethernet device you use.

For an appliance, like a router or a camera, you may be able to find the address on a label stuck somewhere on the device.

Step 2.  Make sure the firewall is enabled and DMZ is disabled.

Use your browser to log into the Arris DG860A and click the Firewall tab.  On the resulting page, make sure Enable Firewall is checked.  Then click the DMZ link and make sure that Enable DMZ is not checked.  Many people enable DMZ while they are trying to get port forwarding to work, but it exposes the specified server to all network attacks.  It is a better idea to disable the DMZ and just forward the ports that need to be exposed to meet your requirements.

Step 3.   Record DHCP start and end address.

Assuming you are still logged into the Arris DG860A, click the LAN Settup tab.  Under the DHCP Server Settings, record the values specified for Start IP address and End IP address.  My device was configured to start at 192.168.0.2 and end at 192.168.0.100 but yours may be different.

Step 4.  Configure a Fixed DHCP Client for your server's host.

Assuming you are still logged into the Arris DG860A, click the LAN Settup tab and then click the DHCP link.  Under Fixed DHCP Clients, click the Add button and enter an acceptable IP address and the MAC address recorded in Step 1.  Make sure the address you choose is within the range recorded in Step 3.  I chose 192.168.0.100 because, by convention, that is the address I choose when I want to easily remember.

Note that your host's IP address will not change until it renews it IP address.  The command to trigger a renewal depends on the host system, but restarting the host should always do the job.  You may want to restart the host now and confirm that it is using the correct IP address.

Step 5.  Configure a Virtual Server for each port range to be forwarded from the Internet to your server's host.

Assuming you are still logged into the Arris DG860A, click the Firewall tab and then click the Virtual Servers link.  Under Virtual Servers, click the add button and enter the values for port forwarding.  Be sure to specify the IP address that you configured for the matching Fixed DHCP Client.

Step 6.  Power off the server's host.  Power the Arris DG860A off, wait 30 seconds, power it on again, wait for it to go online. Power up the server's host.

Personally, I think this requirement stems from a superstitious belief, but I will do anything to reduce the risk of a failure due to cached configuration settings.  Yes, that means I am superstitious, too.

Step 7.  Test your port forwarding.

If it doesn't work, check your configuration 3 times.  The most likely cause is a mistyped MAC address, IP address, or port specification.  I know because I made all three of those mistakes.

I have attached some screen captures of my configuration settings.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Solution to Arris DG860A Port Forwarding Problem
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Solution to Arris DG860A Port Forwarding Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
    Port forwarding only works when the firewall is enabled.
    The IP address specified in the virtual server definition must be a Fixed DHCP Client.  In other words, the Arris DG860A must be configured to always give the same IP address to the server's host.
    The server's host must be configured to use DHCP to obtain its IP address.  Do not configure the host to use a static address.
    The IP address configured in the Fixed DHCP Client definition must be in the range configured for dynamic IP addresses.

WOW. That is one horribly programmer router if it is that much of a pain in the butt to port forward a simple rule lol. No other routers I have used, netgear, linksys, tp-link and many others are that picky about port forwarding.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline MrZpl0tx

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
Well, when nothing worked and I was deeply frustrated, I would have agreed with you.  Now that I have a working network and some time to cool off, I think the conventions are perfectly justified.

Think of it this way.

IP addresses assigned by DHCP are notoriously volatile.  A host's IP address changes way more often than most people think.  This is especially true at my house where tablets, phones, and mobile computers come and go, often with days or weeks between connections. 

Port forwarding only works well when the IP address of the target host never changes.  Who wants spend the effort to notice when a host's IP address has changed and then reconfigure port forwarding every time it changes?  That is way more effort than I want to invest.

One could always configure a static IP address on the target host so that it never changes, but that comes with its own set of problems.  I invite you to believe that most consumers don't know how to configure a static IP address and it is different on every different host operating system.  How many service calls do you want to receive when a consumer needs coaching on how to configure a static IP address?  Plus, with this technique, you must coordinate the system definitions in the target hosts and the router.  Making the configurations match is fraught with peril.  There are just too many ways to make a mistake.

By adding the feature for a Fixed DHCP client, the router can be configured to always return the same IP address to the configured host.  Since the IP address is always the same, it is a good candidate for port forwarding.  Bonus, all the configuration settings are made in the router; there is no need to change the host configurations and coordinate the configuration in the host and the router. 

In other words, these conventions should actually simplify the configuration and reduce the number of service calls.

The real sin here is that the developers did not add a sentence to the port forwarding configuration panel and another sentence to the fixed DHCP client configuration panel to make these conventions clear.  They spent all the effort to create a web application in the router for configuration and then failed to add a little static HTML to explain how to use port forwarding together with a fixed DHCP client.  Shame on them!

Offline cpaxe97

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:32:56 AM »
I had problems portforwarding on my Arris router, I couldn't forward, I had the firewall off and I turn it on and it says the ports are open!  I have a different Arris router but still it worked.

Offline danielsuperxx

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »
So, I did ALL this steps, perfectly done, not even a mistake. My ports are still closed, I've checked them with Simple Port Tester I just DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!, I'm near surrender. I double check MAC Addres, IP and restarted my Modem for 1 minute, still isn't working.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »

email