Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Q-see dvr through Netgear Wnce2001 into ATT unite  (Read 16383 times)

Offline tech_serv

• PcWinTech Member
Re: Q-see dvr through Netgear Wnce2001 into ATT unite
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
Okay, so the DVR tech had advised to use the DDNS in conjunction with NOT using the static IP option on the DVR. There is an option on there to allow the network to assign an IP to the DVR,(looks a lot like the Win XP popup for IP assignment). When that did not work, I figured that ATT is blocking it somehow.
So, a new ISP is what I was thinking also.  The ATT Unite wireless does seem to handle the bandwidth of two laptop computers and three smart phones surfing the net simultaneously.  But, that was only 30% of the reason we wanted to try it on our non-business type of account.  We were led to believe it would pass the data of our DVR and that is the MAIN reason we wanted to try it.  If it means cancelling our whole wireless service with ATT, and going with a new one, so be it.  We're done with the ATT Unite.  We want access to our security system there at a reasonable price.  Thanks !

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »
Correct, as long as ATT has you behind that 2nd network then it isnt going to work.

This is worth a fast read
http://www.pcwintech.com/what-port-forwarding-nutshell

So normally when a ISP puts you behind a 2nd network like that it is either because they dont want you hosting anything OR they simply dont have enough internet IPs to hand out to everyone. So they use their own internal network.

Normally the easiest way is to buy a single static internet IP and you are good since the only way you can have a static internet IP is to get out of that 2nd network. But sounds like they want to charge way, WAY more than the norm for it and force you to buy 5 of them for some odd reason. Most USA ISPs sell a single static IP for like $9.99 a month.

But with those ISPs you normally dont need to buy a static internet IP since they dont have you behind a 2nd network anyways. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »