Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Help with DotA 2 Ports  (Read 20069 times)

Offline AdityaSrinidhi

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
    • Facebook Profile
Help with DotA 2 Ports
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »
I recently purchased a new modem (Dlink DSL 2520u) since my old one broke down. I now use this modem + a wireless Netgear WGR614v7. Ever since I changed modem, I'm unable to connect to DotA 2 game servers, and I get a error message "Disconnected from server"
I did not have this problem with my old modem connected to the same wireless router. But after a bit of research, I found out that my new modem is even acts as a router, coz of which I now have multiple routers running. I tried port forwarding and even enabling DMZ, but it has still not been of any help. How do I make sure that the right ports are being forwarded since I have an online tourney coming up soon and I'm really desperate to get this working again!   :sad:

Thanks!  :smiley: :smiley:

PcWinTech.com Forums

Help with DotA 2 Ports
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Help with DotA 2 Ports
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »
Did you follow this?
http://www.pcwintech.com/how-setup-two-or-more-routers-together-port-forwarding-port-triggering

In the modem there shouldnt be ANY port forwarding rules, and in the modem DMZ should be pointing to the WAN IP (Not the LAN IP!) of the netgear and not the IP of your computer. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline AdityaSrinidhi

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:45:01 AM »
Did you follow this?
http://www.pcwintech.com/how-setup-two-or-more-routers-together-port-forwarding-port-triggering

In the modem there shouldnt be ANY port forwarding rules, and in the modem DMZ should be pointing to the WAN IP (Not the LAN IP!) of the netgear and not the IP of your computer. :wink:

Shane

Hey shane,

I had already been through that post, but I still wasn't able to get it to work! :/
I have attached the screenshot of my routers. I have connected my router 1 (which is my wireless used for transmitting signal to the laptop and other devices) and my router 2 (which is the modem converting analog to digital). I have set up the DMZ in the modem and there are no port forwarding rules on my modem, yet im unable to connect. Is there a way I can change my wireless to Router 2?

Thanks!

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
#1 I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm

There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

#2 Advice

a) make sure that all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port (Asus) router.

b) and put the modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »
You will still see that you are behind 2 routers, well because you are :-)

Now that dmz is set (Make sure not port forwarding rules are in the d-link) then you just need to put the port forwarding rules in the netgear. Do that and Post 2 screen shots for me.

1. A screen shot of the port forwarding page in the router
2. A screen shot of the results of my port tester program.
http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester

Lets go from there  :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline AdityaSrinidhi

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
You will still see that you are behind 2 routers, well because you are :-)

Now that dmz is set (Make sure not port forwarding rules are in the d-link) then you just need to put the port forwarding rules in the netgear. Do that and Post 2 screen shots for me.

1. A screen shot of the port forwarding page in the router
2. A screen shot of the results of my port tester program.
http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester

Lets go from there  :wink:

Shane

Thanks a lot, I guess I got the ports opened up now! I set a static IP for my computer on the network and forwarded every port on my wireless routers. I'm now getting a positive result on the port checker, so I guess all ports are open! But I still am not able to connect to the game servers for some reason! :/
This once I set the launch option command as "+clientport 80" and it seemed to have worked for a while, but now no use :c
Here are the screenshots! I have attached the router forwarding, the port tester, the required ports for the game, and the game error!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
The thing to remember is most home routers dont support reverse nat
http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat

So that means when you are trying to connect to yourself that you have to use the local IP and not the internet IP. People outside your network, like I am, will use your internet IP.

Also make sure your firewall software isnt blocking the game :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »

email