Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Slower Wifi after Modem upgrade?  (Read 8627 times)

Offline Shpati

• PcWinTech Full Member
Slower Wifi after Modem upgrade?
« on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »
Hi,

I just upgraded my modem to a Model: Arris Interactive, L.L.C. tm822g from a Model: RCA_MTA DHG536.

Router: F5D8236-4 Router

The speedtest results in 50-55 Mb/s for my wired computer. And my torrent downloads used to get highest about 3.7 MB/s. Now it gets almost 7 MB/s. So get a noticeable speed boost on my wired computer.

However, I think my laptop (which uses wireless) got slower. I took a speed test before the modem upgrade, and I got 18.95Mb/s. I took several now, and I will get anything between 19-25Mb/s. I guess it just depends on the day. But for some reasons my torrents or other P2P downloads (like Steam), will get 2 MB/s between 2.5 MB/s. Before the modem upgrade I would get 3 MB/s - 3.5 MB/s using Torrents, Steam.

The only thing I can think of is:

1) The modem is more up to date, and my router has trouble handing it.
2) Maybe it is not the modem. I might have done something different to my laptop. I removed something called "Tunneler", which I believe was used for IPv6. But I always got the yellow question mark on it so I uninstalled it.

I tried reinstalling the LAN and wireless adapters and updating the drivers, but same speeds. I get full bars and my laptop is a room away from the router.

Also, how can I find out my make and model of my wireless adapter, so I can make sure I am getting the correct speeds.

EDIT: I also seem to get higher ping (ms) on both wired and wireless, so maybe that has something to do with it.  I got 18 ms when I ran the test before the modem upgrade. And now I get around 22-25 ms with the modem upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:13:16 PM by Shpati »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Slower Wifi after Modem upgrade?
« on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Slower Wifi after Modem upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:21 AM »
The ping times are still really good, and a lot of times the modems will have some sort of firewall that you can disable, which will help improve the ping time since it isnt sitting there scanning all the packets.

As for the wireless that can be a ton of different things.

Distance from the router
Anything interfering with the signal
Is WPS or what ever it is called enabled, where it controls the speed of the wireless to try and make everything go smooth.
Other computers using the wireless at the same time? The router has to share the total wireless speed with any and all devices connected, so if someone else is using it then it will use some of what you are using.

There are also a bunch of other reasons as well and can be a pain. This is why in my house for my computer and anything I need the best speed on I always have it wired. Wireless is just to easy to mess up, slow down or drop. Heck if a person gets on a cordless 2.4 ghz phone and it happens to be on the same channel as the wireless it will kill the whole connection lol

And sometimes I simply have to reboot my router so that everything refreshes then the wireless starts working normal again.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Shpati

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
Thanks.

Other than 2 smartphones, there isn't other things using my WiFi. I'm pretty close to the router (a room away).

- I might try changing the wireless channel from 11 to something else. I live in a apartment complex so there must be a lot of interference or something. There are some wireless channel scanners out there that scan and give u the best one. so i will try that.

- I will look into my modem and make sure there isn't a firewall in there. I already have the router firewall up, so I don't think I need the modem having a firewall too.

- I do have WPS enabled, but in my router settings, I don't see anything where it controls the speed. I just see the standard WiFi password and stuff.

Thanks Shane.

Offline Shpati

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »
Hi Shane!

Good news, I was able to get it much faster thanks to your advice. I found out that WPS really wasn't the security for my router.  So I disabled that. And I downloaded a WiFi Channel Scanner. I read that channels 1, 6, and 11 are the only ones with the least overlapping. I was on 11, but the scanner showed there was a lot of interface in that channel (I live in a apartment complex). So the best one was actually channel 1 (oddly). I picked that one.

My SpeedTest.com down speeds went from 20-25 Mb/s to 44 Mb/s.

You think there is anything else I can do to get it closer to the 50-55 Mb/s my wired connections get?

I was specifically interested in using Dynamic DNS service. And 20 MHz vs. 20MHz+40MHz auto?

I thought Dynamic DNS service might give me a slight chance to get an open NAT with that game I was having trouble with.

I heard mixed things on 20 MHz vs. 20MHz+40MHz auto. I wanted to hear your take if you have time, since you gave me such great help on here. I am thinking of just putting it on 20 MHz since I am so close to the router, and I can reduce interface by keeping the values tighter.

I put a screeny. My connection in the one in blue. I'm not sure why it goes all the way to channel 7. I think it would be better if I can make it stay near 1.

EDIT: Bummer... my speeds went back to slower speeds on Channel 1. I'm guessing that there is just too much networks in my apartment complex to get great wireless speeds.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:26:49 AM by Shpati »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
Wireless speeds are never as fast as wired. Most wireless connects at 54 MB/s mbit bot mbytes. And even when the wireless is on a "N" connection that should be 150 to 300 mb/s it never goes that full speed.

With so many other wireless connections in the building I dont think you will be able to get that full speed, you would need to be on wireless "N" to get above the 54 mb and also have very little interference.

This is why they have 5 Ghz wireless now. It cant go as far as 2.4 ghz but because of the amount of 2.4ghz phones and other networks by using 5 ghz (If your wireless card supports it) you get to be on a much less used frequency.

To this day I HATE being on wireless for my main machine. I love my 1000 Mb/s (1 GB) network, so when I transfer files between my systems they go as fast as the hard drives can handle :-)

"Hmmm I will transfer this game that is 22 Gb to my system in the house so I can play it. Ah 100 Mbytes/s (Not mbits), takes about 5 min to transfer that large file. On wireless it would take 6 hours."

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Shpati

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
I hear you. Just today, I did a speed test, it got 55 mbs. I'm counting on tomorrow to get something around 20-25, lol.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »