Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Low performance of Windows 8.1 when Cleanmem is running  (Read 9321 times)

Offline reza

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Low performance of Windows 8.1 when Cleanmem is running
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »
First I thank Shane for this awesome program :smiley: I've been using Cleanmem for about 2.5 years and I've not seen any other program as efficient as it is, small with an important role :D

Recently I migrated to windows 8.1 (it is much better than 8) and installed Cleanmem v2.4.3. It works perfectly in reducing physical memory usage (from 2.4 to 1.2 GB), but it causes a really low performance in Windows 8.1 despite what I used to see in Windows 7.  :sad:

- Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
- Lenovo G470 with 4.00 GB of memory

Any reply is appreciated.

----More Details-----
Consider multiple programs are open and you've been working with one for about 5 mins. As you switch to another program (even Windows Metro) you'll see a sensible delay in that program to response, and after that, it will work properly. I don't know much about this kind of stuff but it seems that program cannot reach its recent cache.

I found this problem by disabling Cleanmem tasks in Task Schduler and restarting the windows. I've attached two pictures of memory monitor with and without Cleanmem running.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Low performance of Windows 8.1 when Cleanmem is running
« on: June 05, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Low performance of Windows 8.1 when Cleanmem is running
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Interesting.

I use CleanMem on my Windows 8.1 system and never have any slow down after CleanMem runs, even when I am in the middle of a game.

The only time where would be a slow down is if something was pushed to the page file, which normally doesnt happen when you use cleanmem, but if a program has a memory leak then a lot of times it can get pushed to the page file. So when windows goes to read the memory from the page file their is a lag as you wait for it to be read from the page file, which is on the hard drive.

So the trick would be is to find what exe is having that problem and you can set cleanmem to skip it so that the slow down wont happen.

This tool should help give you more info on the memory usage of each process
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229

and this one
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd535533

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Low performance of Windows 8.1 when Cleanmem is running
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »

email