Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: DIR-655, again. But you're used to it.  (Read 8728 times)

Offline tylerthe41

• PcWinTech Full Member
DIR-655, again. But you're used to it.
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »
Alright, I'm sure you're either tired of me, or used to me by now, but I've got another router problem with my Dlink router.

So the last thread is still pretty far up here, and If you remember it, I said that my last working internet connection was with the Surfboard Modem and Linksys router. Well, the Linksys router started dropping connections not long after that, just like every review ever warned about, and I switched us back to the Dlink. Over the course of time, we've had an issue with the splitter we were using for the cables, but I got that fixed, but a new problem has arrived that's driving me insane.

Here's how it goes, I'll spell it out like a logic puzzle because I love those :D :
The internet works flawlessly for every single computer EXCEPT for mine, and my friend's.

Since it's not just my computer having problems, it can't be something wrong with my driver/network card/etc.

There has to be some similarity between my computer and his that makes it so we cannot connect to the router

This is wireless only, we can both connect via ethernet to the ROUTER. The modem isn't even a factor at this point.

Location isn't the issue, we cannot connect no matter how close we are.

I have done /flushdns /release /renew with no avail.

I have set the router back to default, and then re-setup our internet. THIS ACTUALLY FIXED THE PROBLEM. When I woke up this morning, the same problem was back.

Technically, the computers say they are connected to the internet, but I cannot access the default gateway, so it may just "Think" that it's connected for some reason.

I've tried changing MANY different settings on the router. They don't make any difference.

Whether we are on a static IP or not doesn't make a difference.

And that's about everything I can think of. Looking forward to your reply, and thanks for all the help you always give me.

PcWinTech.com Forums

DIR-655, again. But you're used to it.
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:44:39 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: DIR-655, again. But you're used to it.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »
I have had routers do that to me as well. I had a netgear that did the same thing, network cables worked fine, most wireless devices worked fine and then I had 3 that didnt. My tv and 2 tablets. All refused to work correctly with the router.

Did a full factory reset and they started working, for about a day or so. Did all firmware updates, which sometimes helps but in this case it didnt. I tried all different settings and security for the wireless and none of it helped. It was hardware related. From what I could tell there was a bug with the hardware it used and the type of wireless adapters in the 3 other devices.

Again nothing to do with drivers since the tv and tablets dont even have an option for drivers :-)

I even replaced the netgear firmware with the DD-WRT firmware, this made things better but the problem was still there. SO I ended up replacing the netgear with a tp link model I got from newegg.com and havent had the problem since.

So for you it might be a hardware problem and it doesnt like the wireless adapters that are connecting. First thing to do is check for a firmware update for the wireless adapters and the router.

I know for a while there was a lot of firmware updates that came out from all mfg to fix a problem with xbox wireless being unable to connect. So I know firmware plays a big roll.
 :wink:
Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline tylerthe41

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
I checked for updates just a few days ago, I've got the latest version. I did another full reset, changed the ssid and password of the internet and I haven't dropped since. Not sure what was wrong, but hopefully it stays this way for a while longer.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »
Interesting, did you also change the security type? WPA to WPA2 and such.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline tylerthe41

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
WPA2 AES/TKIP before and after, didn't change the encryption.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
Odd, sounds like what mine did. Give it a few days or so and see if the problem comes back :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »

email