Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: fake vga monitor or virtual desktop tool  (Read 15118 times)

Offline 4EverMaAT

• PcWinTech Member
fake vga monitor or virtual desktop tool
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »
This could apply to desktops, laptops, and especially servers.  When you connect to a Windows server via RDP, it creates a session where you can see the desktop and interact with it  When you disconnect from RDP, that user's desktop screen will no longer work.  The user session will continue to run along with all the programs.

I found a way to keep the desktop interactive part alive for a user.  You create a separate user account (user2), logon to user2, and then launch an RDP connection to user1.  Then you can disconnect RDP from yourself to user2, and the user1's desktop screen is still kept on with the user2 >> user1 RDP connection.  Then you can use other means to connect to the user1 session's desktop and interact with it just like RDP (teamviewer, Ammyy Admin, Splashtop, etc and any program that requires a desktop input like screen recording or streaming software).

See this youtube video that demonstrates the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoybUfW0VdY

The drawback to this method is that 1) the user2 >> user1 RDP connection can occasionally fail.  There is no way that I know to automatically re-launch it.  No big deal as I just relaunch it manually, but automated redundancy is obviously a problem here.  2) you use up 1 RDP connection in order to keep the user1 desktop alive.  Microsoft typically gives you a maximum of 2 RDP connections per OS instance for free. 

So is there anyway to force a desktop screen to remain 'always on' on a server, without using an RDP connection?  I would love an app that could create some sort of fake vga monitor on demand that would operate just like a real monitor, whether a physical monitor is attached to the computer or not.  Any ideas?

PcWinTech.com Forums

fake vga monitor or virtual desktop tool
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: fake vga monitor or virtual desktop tool
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:48 AM »
RDP give you a different desktop then what the user who is sitting in from of the computer sees. So not sure what you are looking for there.

On a Windows server you have a lot of terminal server options that lets you control things like that. I dont know if those settings are available on a workstation. I dont make remote software so I dont know how to go about writing a program to do it :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline 4EverMaAT

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:05 AM »
RDP give you a different desktop then what the user who is sitting in from of the computer sees. So not sure what you are looking for there.

Shane

I want to be able to create a virtual desktop like this without using RDP and yet if I connect to my server, I can still.  And, more importantly, windows recognizes it as a monitor (you can right-click the desktop and view display properties / screen resolution.   If you ever come across something like this, let me know.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:44:05 AM »

email