Author Topic: Wireless Modem with router - Want laptop on wireless network to see hard drive on router.  (Read 12520 times)

rancol23

Hi,

My problem is that I have a network hard drive (Iomega Home Media 1TB) that I want to access from my wireless laptop.

I have an Actiontec DSL Gateway ( GT701-WG ) connected to the internet.  I have several laptops linked together via a wireless network. I have a Linksys RT31P2 (Vonage-supplied) connected to the Actiontec via an ethernet cable (as an aside, this router has a phone connected to it for Vonage calls). I want to connect my new Iomega Home Media Hard Drive to the Linksys and have it visible from my laptops.  This is not happening for me, though.  Any ideas on how to make this work?

thanks!

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
If the hard drive is
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »
If the hard drive is connected to the linksys and your connected to the actiontec you wont be able to see the hard drive because the drive is on a different network at that point. The linksys is on a different IP range than the actiontec.

So the drive needs to be hooked up to the actiontec. But if your actiontech only has 1 network port instead of 4 I can see why you cant do that as the linksys is using the port.

If that's the case we need to change the IP information for the local network in the linksys to be on the same IP range as the actiontec for them to see each other.

This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't depending on the hardware.
I would be more than happy to help you set it up.

Feel free to contact me using the contact form, we can use msn and I can walk you though what to do.
Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

If the hard drive is
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »