Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Love CleanMem Prov2.4.3 - And A Few Ideas  (Read 6794 times)

Offline SpeedSeeker

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Love CleanMem Prov2.4.3 - And A Few Ideas
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »
Hi, Shane, I love CleanMem Pro - it's let me get back to work on my ancient Vista 32-bit Laptop.

I have a couple of Feature Requests:

General improvement, hopefully "easy:"
1. In the Process Detail pane - which is AWESOME for the ability to arrow up/down through the processes (Even Sysinternals has not figured that one out) it would be extremely useful to be able to:
a. Select one of the metrics in the right windows by clicking on it and have the list of processes sort itself by that metric, large to small
bonus:
b. 'Pin' that metric to the top of the display window so all processes could be reviewed for that metric value quickly with the arrow keys

2. This would help find memory/handle leaks... but probably be a LOT more programming for you...
a. Add a third column called 'delta' with a hide/show control (since the next step will take some time and might slow down the UI too much if it's always open)
b. When a metric is clicked, show zeros in the delta column but record the current counts for that metrics across all processes
c. If the same metric is clicked again, show the delta between the ORIGINAL click and the current click for that metric
d. If you hide the column, or select a different metric, it forgets everything (clear)

If you wanted to check for a handle leak:
Click Show Delta to expose the column
Click Handle Count (any process)
See All Zeros
Wait a while
Click Handle Count again
Shazaam! Handle deltas for all running programs since the previous click.
Bonus - sort the program and delta list by the deltas.

My mouse is hovering over the Donate button on tweaking.com :-)

Thanks again for a great program,

David

PcWinTech.com Forums

Love CleanMem Prov2.4.3 - And A Few Ideas
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:57:24 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Love CleanMem Prov2.4.3 - And A Few Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22:55 AM »
1. In the Process Detail pane - which is AWESOME for the ability to arrow up/down through the processes (Even Sysinternals has not figured that one out) it would be extremely useful to be able to:
a. Select one of the metrics in the right windows by clicking on it and have the list of processes sort itself by that metric, large to small
bonus:
b. 'Pin' that metric to the top of the display window so all processes could be reviewed for that metric value quickly with the arrow keys

Right now, as is, it isn't possible. I am using a standard list box on the left and then a text box on the right (I used a text box so a user could highlight and copy anything from it.)
The program grabs the running processes and puts them in the list, when you click or choose an item in the list it then loads the information for that process into the text box.

To do what you want I would have to re write it to where I used a listview instead of a list, then it would have columns which I could make sortable. Then you get into how many columns and what they have and such like that, Wouldnt work very well with SO much information about a progress, as each processes is loaded up it would have to go grab info on that process at the same time. Would slow it down, but not by a ton or anything.

2. This would help find memory/handle leaks... but probably be a LOT more programming for you...
a. Add a third column called 'delta' with a hide/show control (since the next step will take some time and might slow down the UI too much if it's always open)
b. When a metric is clicked, show zeros in the delta column but record the current counts for that metrics across all processes
c. If the same metric is clicked again, show the delta between the ORIGINAL click and the current click for that metric
d. If you hide the column, or select a different metric, it forgets everything (clear)

If you wanted to check for a handle leak:
Click Show Delta to expose the column
Click Handle Count (any process)
See All Zeros
Wait a while
Click Handle Count again
Shazaam! Handle deltas for all running programs since the previous click.
Bonus - sort the program and delta list by the deltas.

That would be a LOT of work lol.

I am trying to decide if I want to move CleanMem over to my Tweaking.com site or not. And if I do that I will be making a new versions when I do, I weill see if any of these requests are possible without slowing things down :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Love CleanMem Prov2.4.3 - And A Few Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22:55 AM »