Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: vpn  (Read 4144 times)

Offline chris635

• PcWinTech Full Member
vpn
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
Hey Bud,
    Thinking about using a vpn service. I have a netgear router. Can i set up a vpn for my home system and still use the router?  I don't quite understand how the two could work together, or do I need a specific vpn router?

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

PcWinTech.com Forums

vpn
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: vpn
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »
#1 With this VPN: Are you planning on connecting to your network or you are planning to connect to another network?

For example of what I mean by connect to another network

You are planning to use http://proxpn.com/ as your VPN provider.

#2 What is the exact model of that Netgear router?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
VPNs can be slow but are a good way to get around things if your ISP blocks stuff.

VPN is a virtual private network. So just like sharing files on a LAN (Local Area Network) to other computers the VPN is a way to do that over the internet net. But it really matters on the kind of speed you have.

What is the reason you want to use a VPN?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline chris635

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
I'm just researching for now. Reason, well...I'm not too pleased right now with the net neutrality case verzion has brought to the courts. From what I gather they can't prevent companies from using the internet, however they can throttle the crap out of them (Netflix....) based off of thier usage. Right now this primarily is aimed at companies like netflix because verizon also wants them to pay extra for band width which we pay for already through our service providers and to netflix.  I'm concerned that IP's might go this way in the future. So I'm interested in a VPN to get around this possibly. I currently have a 30 meg download (you know what, why is the US behind almost every one else in the world for internet speeds...sorry Australia, your the exception). I am willing to pay for higher speeds, then use a VPN for consistency (to prevent throttling), provided it's not to slow of course. Hope this doesn't stir up to much controversy and what are your thoughts. Am I having a knee jerk reaction?

Chris
Physical Science Technician
Avid Motorcyclist

Have a nice day - Chris

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
They can also throttle VPN's and anything else they see fit. So it really isnt a answer for long term.

But at the same time I dont see them doing it. Reason why is right now out of all the stuff on the net netflix has 33 million users. Downloading a movie at HD over netflix takes a 10 MB connection and will stream as fast as the connection will allow it. It is about 2 or 3 GB per hour to watch HD over netflix.

With everything else that causing the highest amount of usage over the networks. So verizon and comcast and playing a pay us or we will make your service look bad game.

Most users wont know it is throttled and blame netflix for bad service. Would it hold up in court? Who knows.

But as of yesterday Netflix has agreed to pay comcast.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/02/23/218223/netflix-blinks-will-pay-comcast-for-network-access

So it was aimed at netflix and not the user. BUT how long before the ISP's feel they can get away with it? I dont know, but I do know with how easy and cheap internet is getting with the rest of the world that it will be a hard knot to tie if they try it. Only time will tell.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »