Author Topic: VirginMedia Superhub  (Read 8197 times)

Offline mrh1

• PcWinTech Member
VirginMedia Superhub
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
Hi Shane

My first post to this forum.   And before we start, thanks for trying to help!

I am trying to open a port on my router so that I can set up a VPN using a raspberry pi.  The software I am using wants port 1723 forwarded.  Unfortunately, everything I have tried has failed:

My ISP is VirginMedia and I have a 30 MB superhub 1 which I believe is a Netgear CG3101D.  The raspberry pi is hardwire connected to the router as 192.168.0.4.  I am using my laptop running Windows 8.1 to try and open the port.

I have tried using the router menus to open the port.  It appears to be enabled but when tested is showing as closed.  I have tried setting 192.168.0.4 as DMZ but this has not helped.  Turning the router firewall on or off does not help.

With the failures using the router menus, I turned to Simple Port Forwarding.  This also fails with a "not found" message from the webpage.  (The failure occurs during "Step 01. nav_first_only("")".  I have tried taking out the username/password but it does not help.

I am using your port tester to test (as well as various on-line sites).

I spent over an hour talking to Virgin Media's tier 2 help the other day.  Their conclusion was that I was doing everything right and could not come up with any further suggestions.  (He went away to talk to colleagues but, to date, has not yet rung back.)

Any help you can provide will be most welcome.

Martin

PcWinTech.com Forums

VirginMedia Superhub
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: VirginMedia Superhub
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »
#1 Forward the ports to your computer.

#2 Post 2 screen shots for us.

a) A screen shot of the port forwarding page in the router
b) A screen shot of the results of this port tester
http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester

(Or if on a Mac computer, A screen shot of the results of the simple-port-tester for mac.)

Lets go from there :-)
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline mrh1

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
Hi

Two screenshots attached as requested.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
As it says on my port tester page, the port tester is only for testing to your computer because it opens the port on your computer and listens for a connection. So dont use it since you are trying to test the connection to another device.

What you should do to see if port forwarding does work is setup a test port forwarding rule to your computer, do port 1979 and then use the port tester. That way we can at least confirm if port forwarding is working. Turn off DMZ first though. DMZ is a open every port rule and will get in the way of the port forwarding :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline mrh1

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
Shane

Congratulations!  Doing what you suggested gives an open port response.  It works both on port 1979 and 1723.  (My apologies.  I am an engineer and, as I am sure you know, engineers never read instructions.  If I had done, I might have realised this would work.)  Incidentally, using an on-line tester, gives an open response in 1 out of 4 tries.

I assume this means that I need to find a way to open the port directly from my raspberry pi.

Martin

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
Ok good, so now we know that port forwarding does work :-)

So now it is just a matter of making sure the raspberry pi is setup correctly. I have had users who setup static IP information in a device but they dont put all the info in that is needed, sometimes they leave the gateway blank or dns blank or have the wrong numbers.

So since port forwarding does work then we dont need to worry about it but now focus on the raspberry pi. So I would check to see if you have it setup via DHCP that its local IP simply didnt change on you, or if you set it up with a static IP that it has all the correct information, and if it is a static IP you want to give it a IP of a higher range so the router doesnt handout the same Ip to another device :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline mrh1

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:43:48 PM »
Shane

I have checked on the raspberry pi and the IP is set as static and it does behave correctly when powered off/on etc.  I have also tried setting the port using the browser on the RP.  As before it appears to open but when tested still comes up as closed.  Of course, this is testing it using an on-line tester as your program does not run under Linux (unless I am mistaken).

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
The online port tester page will work on anything. The webpage does nothing more than tries to make a connection to your internet IP on the port you tell it and if something answers the connection then it will say the port is open. If the connection attempt times out it will say failed.

Any way you can post a screen shot of the network setup in the PI just so I can cover all the bases?

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline mrh1

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:26 PM »
Shane

I thought I would try and connect to my VPN again after I had set the port from the RP and, lo and behold, it connected!!  I can only assume that this means the port is open despite the fact that I cannot demonstrate that it is. 

So I can only assume that setting the port from the RP itself did the trick. 

I will therefore say thank you for your help and in thanks I will purchase the pro version of Simple Port Tester.

Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »
Always happy to help, and if you need anything else you know where to ask :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »

email