Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Problem with Thomson TG782i  (Read 11828 times)

Offline mihajlov

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Problem with Thomson TG782i
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:38:52 AM »
Hello all, so here's my problem. I have a cable modem and recently i bought Thomson TG782i, to use as a router for wireless internet. Here is how i have connected my network. I have connected my cable modem and thomson via ethernet cable, then i connect my laptop and thomson via another ethernet cable, when i connect it to one of my laptops(1) i get net but i cannot access the router admin page(have tried default ip adress the default gateway, still cannot access it). Now when i connect it to my other laptop(2) it recognizes the network, but it says no internet access, and when I connect it says Additional log on information may be required. On this one i can access the admin page. When i connect wirelessly via any laptop i get the same stuff as the second laptop, recognized network no internet access. When I don't have net I noticed that my router assigns ip adresses like 192.168.1.64.

Thanks,
Mihajlo.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Problem with Thomson TG782i
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:38:52 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Problem with Thomson TG782i
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:24:36 AM »
I was looking around the net and found some info

http://inglong.en.alibaba.com/product/684161061-214504406/Thomson_TG782_ADSL_voip_Residential_Gateway_Thomson_TG782.html

At http://www.njuskalo.hr/wireless-wlan/thomson-tg782i-wireless-router-spliter-kablovi-oglas-6711003 it has a link that shows what this equipment looks like

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/684161061/Thomson_TG782_ADSL_voip_Residential_Gateway_Thomson.jpg

I am wondering.

#1 Do you have both cable and DSL?

#2 What is the brand and model of your cable modem?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline mihajlov

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:37:02 AM »
I was looking around the net and found some info

http://inglong.en.alibaba.com/product/684161061-214504406/Thomson_TG782_ADSL_voip_Residential_Gateway_Thomson_TG782.html

At http://www.njuskalo.hr/wireless-wlan/thomson-tg782i-wireless-router-spliter-kablovi-oglas-6711003 it has a link that shows what this equipment looks like

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/684161061/Thomson_TG782_ADSL_voip_Residential_Gateway_Thomson.jpg

I am wondering.

#1 Do you have both cable and DSL?

#2 What is the brand and model of your cable modem?

Yeah that's the one. I only have cable internet and the brand of the cable modem is Cisco EPC2202.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:07:41 AM »
When you can access the net but not access the router, check the network settings.

Note: This example assumes that you are on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

a) Press the Windows Start key to open the Start screen.

b) Type cmd and press Enter to launch the command prompt.

Note: You do not need to click on anything on the Start screen—typing will automatically initiate a program search.

c) Type ipconfig /all at the command prompt to check the network card settings.

d) If not on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 and you do not know how to check that network info - then post what is your OS and Version is.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline mihajlov

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »
When you can access the net but not access the router, check the network settings.

Note: This example assumes that you are on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

a) Press the Windows Start key to open the Start screen.

b) Type cmd and press Enter to launch the command prompt.

Note: You do not need to click on anything on the Start screen—typing will automatically initiate a program search.

c) Type ipconfig /all at the command prompt to check the network card settings.

d) If not on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 and you do not know how to check that network info - then post what is your OS and Version is.

I assumed you wanted print screen so here it is...

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:16:15 AM »
Odd, but ok let us find out why.

#1 What is the layout?

#2 If you are not sure of the layout, start of by physically finding the equipment..

#3 This was my layout of what it used to look like.

a) A phone wire and a power wire from wall jack goes to power surge protector

b) A phone wire and a power wire from power surge protector goes to my Westell-F90-610015-06

c) An Ethernet wire from Westell-F90-610015-06 goes to my Linksys E4200's RJ-45 WAN/Internet/To Modem Port.

d) All of my computers are either connected to the Linksys E4200 by wire or by wireless.

#4 If not sure of what kind of cable is (or cables are) used, just tell what you know about the layout (how everything is connected to each other).

Offline mihajlov

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:21:09 AM »
Odd, but ok let us find out why.

#1 What is the layout?

#2 If you are not sure of the layout, start of by physically finding the equipment..

#3 This was my layout of what it used to look like.

a) A phone wire and a power wire from wall jack goes to power surge protector

b) A phone wire and a power wire from power surge protector goes to my Westell-F90-610015-06

c) An Ethernet wire from Westell-F90-610015-06 goes to my Linksys E4200's RJ-45 WAN/Internet/To Modem Port.

d) All of my computers are either connected to the Linksys E4200 by wire or by wireless.

#4 If not sure of what kind of cable is (or cables are) used, just tell what you know about the layout (how everything is connected to each other).

I think i gave the layout, but here it is again in more detail:

On the cisco cable modem:
1.Power adapter connected.
2.Coaxial cable connected.
3.Ethernet cable connecting the cisco modem and the thomson router (in ethernet slot #1, on the thompson).

On the thompson:
1.Power adapter connected.
2.Ethernet cable connecting the router and a pc or a laptop(from ethernet port #2).

Hope this made things clear.

Thanks again.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »
Ok here is what I see and what might be the problem.

The Thomson TG782i is a dsl modem and not a straight router. A normal router would have a WAN port on the back to plug in a network cable from a modem, but the Thomson TG782i is a dsl modem and instead of a WAN port it has the phone lines.

So what is happening is your modem is only allowed to give one IP out at a time and your computer is getting it, thats why it has the internet IP instead of a local IP. The Thomson TG782i has no WAN IP so it wont be able to access the net, so the devices who connect wireless to it are getting a local Ip form the thomson which isnt going to work.

You need to replace the Thomson TG782i with a proper router and not a modem :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »
Here are my two cents.

Some DSL Gateways (for example the Westell 7500) have a RJ-45 port that can be reconfigured to act as the RJ-45 WAN port.

Unless your DSL Gateway can do that (and you configure it to do that), do as Shane suggest.

Please note: I am not sure if you can reconfigure DSL Gateway to do that (or how it).

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »

email