Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: 2 router question  (Read 4005 times)

Offline jackisy

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
2 router question
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »
Hi Everyone thank you for reading in advance. My current setup includes a motorola surfboard sg6580 router/cable modem and a netgear wnr2000. The reason for this setup is that I have a guesthouse and the netgear is wired through ethernet in that back house. I am now trying to setup a foscam camera (wirelessly connected to netgear) there, but I've run into some issues. (i.e., I have already setup a camera with a different router, port forwarded, and used dns with no issues).
When I try to do dns with the netgear router it does not work. I can only access the camera within the network no where else. I have opened the ports and they work. It seems the issue is between the motorola and netgear. I tried to do dmz with the motorola but it will only allow me to input an address of 192.168.0." and my netgear is 192.168.1." . Any idea how to make it connect to each other? do i have to bridge them?

PcWinTech.com Forums

2 router question
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: 2 router question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
#1 In the Netgear go to Router Status OR depending on the UI of the Netgear go to Advanced -> Administration -> Router Status

#2 If for example the motorola surfboard sg6580 is 192.168.0.1, then you are looking for the IP Address that starts with 192.168.0 but is NOT 192.168.0.1

#3 In the motorola surfboard sg6580 you are to forward OR DMZ the WAN IP of the Netgear router.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jackisy

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
thank you, are you saying that the WAN ip of the netgear should be something 192.168.0."? and then input that ip into the motorola?

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
The WAN IP in the Netgear will be similar to the Default Gateway IP Address found in the Netgear.

As long the Netgear and the Motorola are directly connected to each other (no other device or devices between them), yes that is what I am saying.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
Sounds like you are simply behind 2 routers as the modem from the ISP also acts as a router :wink:

http://www.pcwintech.com/how-setup-two-or-more-routers-together-port-forwarding-port-triggering

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »

email