Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Strange IPs  (Read 3559 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Strange IPs
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »
I have a little program from Softtonic called WiFi Guard. It popped up and said there were 3 unrecognized devices. I thought one of them might have been my little Dell laptop. Since it is sitting right next to me  I just leaned over and asked it "What Is My IP?" Well instead of a 192.xxx.x.x which I expected I got a 75.xxx.xx.xx   So I tried this computer and it says it's IP is 72.xxx.xxx.xxx   So what's up that? I've done this in the past and they were always 192 something. All of the addresses that the WiFi guard has are 192 something (including the 3 it doesn't recognize). I suspect that the 3 unrecognized are all related to the broadband router but how can I prove it? And how can I establish that they are legitimate or someone stealing my WiFi?

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

Strange IPs
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Strange IPs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »
I do not know about all of the strange IPv4s seen, but I can tell that any IPv4 Address that you see that is not on the list of Reserved IPv4 addresses at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses are non bogan IP Address(es).

Unless using a VPN or proxy server, if the non bogan IP Address shows up in the router and if you forwarding one or more port(s) in your router, then that IP Address is the IP Address that users from the network of networks that spans the globe (aka: Internet) use to connect to you with.

Unless using a VPN or proxy server and regardless if the non bogan IP Address shows up in the router, then the non bogan IP Address is the IP Address that you are coming from (and will show up/in the logs of the server - if the server has logging enabled of what IP Addresses are/have connected to that server)

If using a VPN or a public proxy server, it is possible to hide your non bogan IP Address as the other servers that you connect to get the VPN's or public proxy server's non bogan IP Address. Note I am saying that you should try to hide your non bogan IP Address (or how hard it is to hide your non bogan IP Address) for other servers that you connect to.

At this time, since I do not understand IPv6 well enough I have no comments about IPv6 bogan or non bogan IP Address(es).

--

If all of the computers have non bogan IP Address on them, then you are not NATTED.

As to why you are not NATTED:

a) that is unknown at this time.

b) Perhaps, it would help to know the network layout.

#1 If you are not sure of the network layout, start of by physically finding the equipment..

#2 This was my network layout what it used to look like.

a) A phone wire and a power wire from wall jack goes to power surge protector

b) A phone wire and a power wire from power surge protector goes to my Westell-F90-610015-06

c) An Ethernet wire from Westell-F90-610015-06 goes to my Linksys E4200's RJ-45 WAN/Internet/To Modem Port.

d) All of my computers are either connected to the Linksys E4200 by wire or by wireless.

#3 If not sure of what kind of cable is (or cables are) used, just tell what you know about the layout.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:48:55 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
It sounds like your computer is getting an the internet IP from the router it is plugged into instead of a local IP. That can happen if it is plugged into a modem instead of a router.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
Shane.  Both of the systems mentioned are wireless connected to different routers. The Dell laptop has wireless connection to the Belkin router.  My laptop is currently wireless connected to the broadband router.

Trptd.  I don't know a bogan from a bagel.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »