Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: can't access dvr and can't ping  (Read 10738 times)

Offline oldsap

• PcWinTech Full Member
can't access dvr and can't ping
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »
Hi Shane,  i have 3 dvrs in 3 different locations with the same ISPs.  DVR1 = warehouse, DVR2 = Office, DVR3 = house.
- when i'm at the office and at the warehouse, i cannot access DVR2 and DVR3 using my PC and Mobile phone, but i can browse the internet
- when i'm at the house, i CAN access both DVR1 and DVR2 with my PC and mobile.
all DVRs are using a no-ip.com host names and when i tested using tracert, all no-ip host names are working.  when i use a different location's ISP, all DVRs are accessible.
what seems to be the problem?

Thanks for your time Shane.

PcWinTech.com Forums

can't access dvr and can't ping
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: can't access dvr and can't ping
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:19 AM »
#1  Let me give to you an example what happens with my router running tomato firmware.

With loop back in my router set to Off, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP: I can't connect to anything and I have the same issue that you are having. :(

With loop back in my router set to All, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP I can connect to the router's UI as if remote control of the router is turned on.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I have a web server running on port 80: I am able to connect to my web server on port 80.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I do not have a web server running on port 80: I can't connect to anything.

--

#2 Based upon the above info, perhaps in your router has loopback support it is set to Off.

#3 I also have to say that:

a) Not all routers will allow users to adjust the loop back feature.

b) OR if they let the user adjust the loop back feature, they can only turn it off and on.

Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »
Remember that a lot of modems dont support reverse nat
http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat

So if you are on the same network as the dvr you cant use the no-ip address, instead you want to use the local address. When outside your network of the dvr is when you use the internet IP  :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:16 AM »