Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Repeaters  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Rowls

• PcWinTech Member
Repeaters
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »
Happy New Year everyone. I have set up a network in a building with 2 floors. On the first floor corridoor is an Access Point which is connected to a receiver on the roof. At the end of the corridor is a Repeater. On the second floor corridor is a Repeater connected to the first floor Access Point. At the end of the 2nd floor corridor corridor is a Repeater which I belive is connected to the 2nd floor Repeater that is connected to the Access Point. The problem is that on the second floor 2nd Repeater there is a good connection to the pc but the internet either drops out or is very weak. Can anyone say generally why that is. The building has thick walls and it isn't possible to run network cables from the first to second floor. Thanks for any help. I can upload a diagram if that helps.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Repeaters
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:34:55 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Repeaters
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
The question is how good of a signal is the repeater getting itself to the access point.

While your computer might get a good connection to the repeater signal the repeater still has to connect to the access point, so if its signal is weak you will have a slow internet and a lot of drops. Moving the repeater closer even if just by a few feet can sometimes be all the difference you need :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Rowls

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:06 AM »
Repeater 1 is connected to the AP. Repeater 2 is connected to Repeater 1 and has visual contact with it. Repeater 2 is showing it has a good contact/strength. There is good contact down the corridor to Repeater 1, but when I get close to Repeater 2 the internet connection drops out.
I have been told by TP Link that I should change the Repeater to a static IP and disable DHCP. I'll do that tomorrow (Monday) and see if it helps.

Offline Rowls

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:38:27 AM »
Checked out the Repeaters again today: As suggested by TP Link changed the IP address and disabled DHCP on Repeater 1 and also tried with a different SSID name. But none of it seemed to work.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
Thats the thing about repeaters. They broadcast the same network name but each has a different signal.

So a computer will connect to one but by the time you get to a point in the building the signal is very weak since it is on the single from the other repeater and not the one that is closer.

I have a customer that runs a motel that had this problem. SO I talked into doing things differently, which to this day they love.

Normally people expect to see 1 network name. Well because of the signal problem I setup a different network names for each location. So a customer could choose which network they wanted based on the signal. So when they open their wireless connection they would see "Network1" "Network2" and so on and connect to the one that had the best signal.

So far they haven't had any more complaints about bad connections since I did that, because I gave the user control on which radio to connect to. When you use multiple repeaters it is all automatic and so you run into the problems you are having. You have multiple different radios you can connect to but have no control on which one.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »

email