Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Linksys router all of a sudden not broadcasting  (Read 4938 times)

Offline hoolman

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Linksys router all of a sudden not broadcasting
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
Have posted three other places with no responses. Found this site and am hoping for the best.

Have had Linksys Wireless G WCG200 gateway running for four years in my home with no issues ever. Occasionally need to power down and back up but no other problems. Today all of a sudden none of the laptops can find the signal. The one desktop machine is connected to it via ethernet cable and working fine but the three laptops all of a sudden cannot find the signal. Have powered down the gateway three times with no luck. It's running, all appropriate lights are on, goes through POST sequence, but no broadcast that can be picked up by laptops. This is a royal hassle. I would so appreciate any assistance.

Any ideas ???? This is out of the blue with no events that could have triggered it (that I can tell)

Thanks so much

PcWinTech.com Forums

Linksys router all of a sudden not broadcasting
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Linksys router all of a sudden not broadcasting
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »
I actually had this happen on another linksys at a customers. Basically it was bad hardware in the router. While everyone who was using a network cable worked, all the wireless was dead. The wireless chip in the router had finally gone out.

At that point all you can do is replace it.

If you like I can give you the link to the router I current use at home, so far it has been working pretty good for me and my dozen wireless devices :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline hoolman

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »
Hi Shane:

THanks very much for your reply. Kinda what I figured. It's actually over 6 years old. I guess that's all I can really expect.
Yes, I would appreciate knowing what you use. We are a family in a single family home with five separate wireless laptops, with no more than three at any one time. No other special needs or heavy data usage. Hoping to not have to spend a bundle. I'm thinking $50 - $75 range but I'm sure you can tell me better what my expectations should be for some level of reliability.

Thanks very much Shane

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
Here is the one I currently use. My first TP-Link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704177

I have been using netgear for years after I stopped using linksys when cisco bought them.

I had odd trouble with the wireless in the last 3 netgears I had and with new tvs and tablets. This tp-link hasn't had any of those trouble so far and I have only had to reboot it once this last month. But every router needs rebooted once a month, they are just like computers after all. In fact I seen some new d-links that have a auto reboot schedule you can setup on it. I have checked to see if my tp-link has it yet.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline hoolman

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
Hi Shane:

thanks for your reply. Will be purchasing a netgear on your recomendation. A question though... I'm considering purchasing a Gateway/Router with more than the standard 4 or 5 ports. I'm thinking of more like 8, with the ability to turn off the wireless broadcast if I chose to. Do you know if that type of functionality is available? Why would I want to do that ? Well, call me anal, although I probably don't think the 10 -15 years since electromagnetic signals have become commonplace would really be considered a knee jerk reaction - but nonetheless I do get funny looks. Someone I know who works for a hedge fund in Manhattan sent me a pretty compelling documentary that was done in the UK just a few months ago. I found it very interesting and highly credible to say the least. The link I've provided is the YouTube post which is 1 1/2 hrs long. It was suggested that I only needed to watch the first 31 minutes but I found it too intriguing to step away and gave up an hour of sleep to do so. The first five minutes made me think I might give up on it but that quickly changed. Anyhow, if you cared to take a look you'll understand why I'm looking for the capability to turn off the router broadcast and more commonly use the port connections by running ethernet connections to all the rooms in my home making them more convenient to use.

Here's the link if you find yourself inclined: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6n-fIHGia8

In any event, thanks very much for your time and goodwill. I appreciate your service very much.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:56:20 PM »
The norm for any router is only 4 ports. If you need more you simply add a network switch/hub (5,8,16,24, 48 switches are out there) :-)

Then you just plug one cable from the router into the switch and now all those ports are usable. Thats how I do it here at home for the computers. I like my gigabit speeds between them, wireless is just used for the phones and such.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline hoolman

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
Got it.

Thanks very much !!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
No problem :-D

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »