Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: CM memory usage  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
CM memory usage
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
Noticed something interesting when I ran CM. I wanted to convince myself that CM still keeps memory usage low. So, I "switched off" everything and let the system Tray Icon count the amount of memory (in %) in use. It ran up to ~ 50%. Then I switched on everything in CM and kicked CM into action. And to see how Windows memory usage I looked at "Resource Monitor". And what I saw was amazing.

Before memory usage was ~ 50% (~ 2 GB). It consisted of "memory in use" + memory dedicated to hardware.
After I kicked CM into action memory used for processes + hardware was down to ~ 1 GB but "memory modified" was still at ~ 750 MB. And the system tray icon told me that ~ 42% was in use. So, the CM system tray icon (or is it Windows ??) considers "memory modified" as "memory used" and includes that in the count for the % of memory usage.

(Had some problems with my memory slots on my Win 7 laptop, had to remove 4 GB memory).

PcWinTech.com Forums

CM memory usage
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: CM memory usage
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:11 PM »
The memory reported to the min monitor is what the windows API tells it. The memory in modified I dont know what that is. I looked into as I found a few old setup programs installing large games suck up the entire memory modified and used all all the memory int he system and wouldn't free up and I had to reboot. Cleanmem and the task manager showed nothing using the memory.

From what I read into it memory modified is memory that has been used but not released so it is waiting for the process to use it or release it. In this case the setup program for the game wasnt and it used up the memory till the system wasn't responsive. Funny thing is it worked fine in windows xp.

Memory modified seems to be something new since xp.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: CM memory usage
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:11 PM »