Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: port failure  (Read 3985 times)

Offline abbu

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
port failure
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »
Hey,

Simple port tester gives me random results for serie testing of TCP and UDP ports, for some reason some ports fail. I've been pulling my hair out as I am 100% sure to have gone through all options without any change to the result.

Then I ran PFPortChecker which confirms my correct setup and it can reach all ports.

I am curious to find out what could cause the behavior of SP.

PcWinTech.com Forums

port failure
« on: December 01, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: port failure
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
You are so close to allowing users to connect to your computer. :)

#1 To start with:

The inbound-client side software (from portforward.com and from here) is not just a port checker, it acts as a server.

By this I mean it starts listening on the port(s) that you told it to check.

Note by listening:

a) Since you are on Windows I point you to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/

b) If you were not on Windows (Mac, Unix/Linux), go look lookup listen on port and then your OS name using Google (or your other favorite search engine).

#2 If nothing is listening on the port that you check with a web based port checker, then the port does not show up as open.

#3 Also be advised that you can not have two servers listening on the same the port on the same computer. So for example...

Before you start uTorrent, you must close out the inbound-client side port checker and likewise before you use an inbond-client side port checker you must make sure that uTorrent is not running.

#4 What is the exact brand and model of your router?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
My simple port tester listens for a connection from my site, so if some times it says open and other times it doesnt then either the port forwarding is acting odd or your firewall software is simply blocking the program at times.

Have you tried the tester with your firewall wall? That is if you dont use the Windows firewall.

A lot of people dont realize that their antivirus has a firewall in it at times as well. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline abbu

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
I have tested several TCP ports and UDP with same port number. On the first try the SPT says that TCP ports=succes and UDP fails, on the second try it is visa versa. No port is listed with netstat.
Then I tried with PFPortchecker on a TCP port, result is succes, and  the port is now listed with netstat. Then I tried this port with SPT and it was succes to the other TCP remained fail, the I did the same trick with the other ports with the same result. I retested with windows firewall and virus off, same results.
On the other hand the software that is depending on these ports is functioning so I guess the ports must be reachable.

modem is :Cisco EPC3925 EuroDocsis 3.0 2-PORT Voice Gateway
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:06:15 AM by abbu »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »
My program opens the port during the test and then closes it.

TCP ports are easy to test as it looks for a connection to be made from the site.

UDP is connectionless, in other words you listen on the port but you dont have to make a connection to it to send data, so my site sends a one word text string on that port and if my port tester sees it then it says the port is open.

TCP you dont have to send any data, just make the connection attempt.

I am not sure why ti is going back and fourth on you like that, but it does show the ports are open. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »