Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: router question  (Read 3940 times)

Offline worldvisionnow

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
router question
« on: November 28, 2013, 03:09:17 AM »
I am wondering if I can use a linksys e1500 wireless-n router with speedboost in place of a zyxel c1000z wifi router from century link????? any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Laura M. Woodard

PcWinTech.com Forums

router question
« on: November 28, 2013, 03:09:17 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: router question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
I will add my two cents.

#1 First things first: I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm

There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

#2 Advice since you have your own RJ-45 WAN port router and a modem combo: Put the modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

^^^
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:10:28 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
The linksys is a router only, the zyxel is a router/dsl modem.

So you cant do it the way you want. You can add the linksys and then you will be behind 2 routers. But only do that if you really need to :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline worldvisionnow

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:16:51 AM »
Thanks you guys!!  I guess I'll return the link sys back to the store. 

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:16:51 AM »