Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: ZyXel P660R-D1 DSL Modem & Netopia R910 Router Problem  (Read 7300 times)

Offline gps_eng.r

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
ZyXel P660R-D1 DSL Modem & Netopia R910 Router Problem
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
Hello Shane and Krew,

Nice website, thanks. 

The Problem, I can not figure out how to reconnect my router to serve InterNet downstream to my InterNet hungry devices, eg. PCs, TV, etc sourced from a working ISP DSL 1 port (SUA) modem/router.  The modem connects to InterNet ok.  I had my ISP bump up the speed of my connection, the ISP (arthLink reset the modem and broke my router configuration.

Currently the system is a PC running WinXP Pro/SP3 (McAfee InterNet AV & Firewall), a ZyXel P660R-D1 DSL Modem & 1 port Router (SUA) and is connected to (an old workhorse) Netopia 4 port router (RS-232 admin port), from which I feed TVs and various PCs around the pad. I prefer copper to wireless, more stable and more secure (aside from the USKGB skunkin').

I've fiddled around with the Netopia R910 router, and for the life of me, I can't get it to work now.  The last time I did this with the same model modem was about two years ago, it only took me  15 minutes to configure it.  My memory must be slipping.

So can you help out? I mean, what numbers do I put where? It all sounds...so trite?

Oh I power-cycle after changing stuff.

Thanks in advance,

gps_eng.r
ps, I have the manuals for both devices.

==========

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:07:31 PM by gps_eng.r »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« on: October 19, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: ZyXel P660R-D1 DSL Modem & Netopia R910 Router Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »
Based upon the WAN IP in the router, more than one router is present.

Provided that both routers are yours, one of the possible fixes is addressed on http://www.pcwintech.com/how-setup-two-or-more-routers-together-port-forwarding-port-triggering
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline gps_eng.r

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »
Based upon the WAN IP in the router, more than one router is present.

Provided that both routers are yours, one of the possible fixes is addressed on http://www.pcwintech.com/how-setup-two-or-more-routers-together-port-forwarding-port-triggering

trpted,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, both routers are mine.

I read the article you cited prior to my posting request for help. The article is interesting and generally informative. I suspect that it answers my questions, but I'm not certain how to integrate the info with my hardware.  On the surface, so-to-speak, the information doesn't seem to match anything I recognize in my ZyXel modem/router web-config pages, nor anything in the Netopia R910 router VT100 console screens. 

In referencing the ZyXel P660 DSL-Modem/Router manual, I searched for any ocurrance of the phrase 'DMZ' in the (204 pg) pdf manual and found none. However as I now understand things DMZ is a many-to-one address translation scheme, and that does seem to fit one of the NAT 'rules' which the Mfr describes as SUA or Single-User-Account. The NAT enable check-box is checked.

Excerpt from PcWinTech's cited article:

Step 1. Login into Router-2
Step 2. Find the status page that shows the WAN/Internet IP address and
         write it down. (The Gateway IP will be the IP needed to log into
         the first router/modem.)
Step 3. Log into router-1/modem now.
Step 4. Find the DMZ page
Step 5. Enter the IP you wrote down into the DMZ page and enable DMZ.
Step 6. Save and your done.

Quick Tip:
You should setup a static WAN IP address for router 2.

If you leave it on DHCP the IP could change thus breaking the DMZ and of course
breaking the port forwarding & triggering. This doesn't happen very often,
but it is always a possibility.

Above, I am confused as to which router the DHCP should be disabled? R1 or R2?

I sketched up a quick graphic which I think covers most everything as I understand things, and how things are configured, but it doesn't run.  Comments are invited.

thanks in advance,

gps_eng.r
ps..the top portion of the graphic is how the system is configured now, while the bottom is the desired arrangement...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:47:12 PM by gps_eng.r, Reason: Added article excerpt for clarity »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
OK your Zyxel is connected to the internet, and is a modem/router. You said it only has one lan port so you hooked up another router.

There are a couple of things you can do here.

1. Instead of using another router to get more network ports you could just use a switch instead since the modem is also a router. This will make it to where you only have one router and have all the network ports you need.
2. If you dont have a switch and want to use the 2nd router you will need to set it up a little differently to get port forwarding working, which my page shows.
But you said that you cant get it online. So make sure the network cable coming from the lan port on the zyxel is plugged into the WAN port on the netopia. And if you have to just do a factory reset on the netopia.

When it is running as default it will auto get its WAN IP (A local IP) from the zyxel. And of course the netopias LAN IP has to be different that the local IP from the zyxel :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline gps_eng.r

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »
OK your Zyxel is connected to the internet, and is a modem/router. You said it only has one lan port so you hooked up another router.

There are a couple of things you can do here.

1. Instead of using another router to get more network ports you could just use a switch instead since the modem is also a router. This will make it to where you only have one router and have all the network ports you need.
2. If you dont have a switch and want to use the 2nd router you will need to set it up a little differently to get port forwarding working, which my page shows.
But you said that you cant get it online. So make sure the network cable coming from the lan port on the zyxel is plugged into the WAN port on the netopia. And if you have to just do a factory reset on the netopia.

When it is running as default it will auto get its WAN IP (A local IP) from the zyxel. And of course the netopias LAN IP has to be different that the local IP from the zyxel :wink:

Shane

Hi Shane,

Short reply: Switch solution works...thank you for your time and the good info.

Long reply:

Hah!  I dug up an old Cisco SD208 10/100 Switch someone gave me a few years ago, I had been thinking about scavenging the SMD chips off the PCB for a home-brew global warming monitor system I'm developing, but now I am glad that I didn't.  Well, I plugged it in...and shutz-howdy it works straight up!!

Thank you.

Why don't the ISPs tell us about these things? 

However, I still desire to understand what is incorrect in my thinking about how to properly configure the Netopia router to route InterNet traffic? Its a matter of principle at this juncture. Over the past week (sans a day), I've read many articles, including all of the WikiPedia articles you cited in your 'basic info' web-page. I do think I'm beginning to understand things a bit more. But it seems that there is something basic that I'm missing about these two devices.  And if you and your community are willing (I understand that y'all are busy with family, work, friends...life), I'd appreciate your further assistance to explore the matter a bit more. I'll understand if not.

Thank you for your help in resolving the immediate problem, very much appreciated.

gps_eng.r

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:53:30 PM by gps_eng.r »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
I am always happy to help, will just be hard when I cant see the other router since you cant get it online :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »

email