Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: clean file cache safe?  (Read 13227 times)

Offline robertboyl

• PcWinTech Member
clean file cache safe?
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:49 AM »
Hi, everyone

Loving cleanmem. Our win 2012 server running a mail server with 8 GB ram as near 7 GB usage, but no apparent reason, just cache. With cleanmem it goes to 5,5 GB RAM used and with clean file cache it frees up a lot of RAM, only 2 GB used.

Questions:

1) Although I saw no harm at all cleaning file cache, is it always safe to keep cleaning file cache every 5 min or I imagine safer to get the pro version and do that only when file cache reaches a certain limit, correct?

2) Other idea I had was to clean file cache but run cleanmem in taskmgr just once per day.

Thanks!

PcWinTech.com Forums

clean file cache safe?
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:49 AM »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: clean file cache safe?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
When you've got so much free memory then it's certainly a good idea to increase the amount of memory for the file cache and only clean when above a certain limit. That increases the speed of the system. Less need for disk I/O.

I personally would leave the interval at 15 or 30 minutes. But this also depends on how fast the memory gets filled.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »
Windows keeps track which files the system/user frequently uses and "pre-loads" them (with a very low priority) in the free part of the memory called "Standby Memory". That makes switching between programs (much) faster and therefore overall performance better. So, reducing memory usage as much as possible allows the "Standby memory" to grow as much as possible and therefore increases performance. (again, less need for disk I/O).

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-memory-usage-whats-the-best-way-to-measure/1786

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »
When there is a ton of drive access, such as on my system and doing a backup, my system would go to a crawl. My file cache was through the roof. And opening anything was as slow as a snail because Windows was seeing if the file was in the cache or not. Once I cleared the file cache things went back to normal without a reboot.

So keeping the file cache under control can actually hep keep the speed up :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline robertboyl

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for fast replies. And where do I increase the file cache Willy mentioned?

Its a mail server so tons of very small files. Not sure if I let it do its cache (Windows eats up all ram!), if it would improve my mail server performance, as I see some of you say cleaning it constantly also helps. And the mail server has its own method of acessing the files, so not sure if that cache would really be used by it?

Perhaps Ill just change the task to run cleanmem with file cache clean not every 5 min, rather every 30 min as Willy mentioned? or even longer if I have ram available, I can experiment like every hour, etc. Or get the pro version and inform it to only recycle if memor reaches a certain limit.

Right now set to every 5 min it doesnt seem to affect performance, at least nothing noticeable downloading mail, accessing webmail, etc.

Thanks!

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:55:52 PM »
1. Filecache: Buy a license key for $5, then you can use the Advanced Monitor (AM). That allows you to finetune above which size the filecache is collapsed and how often CM will perform a check on the filecache size. The AM also gives you more memory cleaning options. These extra options work independent from the "regular" cleaning.
2. I would reduce memory usage of other processes as much as possible say every 15 (or whatever you like best) minutes. Simply select "all processes" in the CM settings wizard. (open the "Mini monitor" window, select "Menu", "Start cleanmem settings wizard" and select whatever you like.)

I have excluded four programs from the memory cleaning process because it slows those programs down when these programs have to rebuild the info that's lost during memory cleaning.

It's simply a matter of "trial & error" what works best and what YOU like best. See also what "Task Manager" & "Performance Monitor" say.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:40:25 AM by Willy2 »

Offline robertboyl

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »
Thanks a lot, Willy.

Sorry but if you can give just some basic pointers on how to do this analysis. What should I look for in taskmgr, perfmon?

Its a mail server, so the processes are smtp.exe, pop, webmail.exe, etc... And it also runs Windows Search which surely might be the big guy involved in a lot of memory consumption as it indexes an entire mail store with hundreds of gigs constantly. Maybe excluding it will improve performance?

I changed the schedule to every 30 min instead of 15 and not run at startup. But it was fine at 15 min, I really didnt notice any slow down.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:14:00 PM by robertboyl »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
- Task Manager tells you which processes/programs consume the most memory. Perhaps you want to curtail those processes more often (Advanced Monitor).
- Performance Monitor (is this the right english word ??? I am from Holland) tells you how large the "Standby Memory" (SM) has become. Can be large !!! On my Win 7 system with 8 GB, (thanks to CM) memory usage is kept below ~ 2 GB but including SM memory usage always exceeds 4 GB, regularly approaches 6GB but very rarely approaches 8GB.
- Do you regularly search for individual files/e-mail messages ? If not then you can disable the Service WSearch.

Again a matter of "trial & error" and what do YOU like best ? It's your system.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:05:09 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
CleanMem and the CleanMem Mini monitor are separate form each other. So if you enable the file cache in cleanmem it will clean out every time cleanmem is ran from the task scheduler.

If you want more control than that then the pro version of the mini monitor can do it. You have to have the min monitor running and disable the file cache in cleanmem. Then in the advanced monitor you can tell it to clean the file cache after it reaches a certain size :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline robertboyl

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:36:25 PM »
Last question :) with pro version, can I check which processes are generating file cache? or I check taskmgr/monitor for I/Os...? how can I do that?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Nope, there is no way to pull that info, Windows only gives me an API to pull the file cache amount :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline robertboyl

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 09:48:44 PM »
I see, but then how to know which process is generating the file cache and remove the processing (cleanup done by cleanmem) for them?  :undecided:

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »
It doesnt, the file cache is just one setting :-)

Here you will like this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897561.aspx

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »
Oooops. The name is "Resource Monitor",  not "Performance Monitor".

See:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-memory-usage-whats-the-best-way-to-measure/1786

Offline robertboyl

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
Thanks a lot, Willy, great material.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »