Author Topic: Self-closing Mini Monitor  (Read 8722 times)

Offline jmjsquared

• PcWinTech Member
Self-closing Mini Monitor
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »
I installed CleanMEM Pro on Windows 7 64-bit, 8GB RAM, 500 + 500GB laptop and enjoyed problem-free use for about two weeks.  Then CleanMEM began acting strangely:
-- Mini Monitor refused to remain running;
-- Main program disappeared from Task Manager about 10 minutes after boot;
-- Uninstall/reinstall did not help nor did Run As Administrator in Context Menu's Compatibility Tab;
-- Could not install as a Task using Task Scheduler (Aside: I think it has damaged my Task Image.)

I had disabled Windows UAC on my system BUT when I re-enabled it to the "Notify Only" setting, set Windows SSDP Discovery Service to manual startup and reinstalled good ol' CleanMEM,  all has been working as intended for 36+ hours.

Hope this helps others.

PLEASE HELP ME:

A. If not here, where do I locate CleanMEM's  TaskScheduler Registry entries?:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree

B. Will changing from the Default Value of (0) -to- a Value of (1) have a beneficial effect while using CleanMEM with its default settings?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

Regards to all.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:30:22 PM by jmjsquared »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Self-closing Mini Monitor
« on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: Self-closing Mini Monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
- Task Scheduler in Win 7 (& Win 8 ?????) has one or more bugs. Those bugs show up when one starts to tinker with the Tasks. The user then gets slammed with errors while at the same time TS seems to function properly. Can't find a pattern. Don't know what to make of it. I reported it to MS but MS haven't done anything about the bug.
- To see what's in Task Scheduler and to remove tasks from there use another program e.g. Piriform's CCleaner.
- Perhaps exporting all tasks and re-installing all affected programs (incl. Cleanmem) will help.
- Are there any Cleanmem related crashdumps ?

Offline jmjsquared

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
Thanks for the response. My Task Scheduler can be accessed and all listed Tasks can be viewed, modified, deleted, etc.  However, like you mention, it throws errors (two and unspecified) and then continues like everything is okay.  I don't know if this is a "bug" in Windows 7 or if it's the result of something getting corrupted in a way that some other corruptions occur: Hard shutdown, bad disk sector, etc., etc.  Take a look at this:http://www.ghacks.net/2011/07/28/fix-the-task-image-is-corrupt-or-has-been-tampered-with-errors/

I've done the sfc, chkdsk and even Windows 7 Update Readiness thing.  No joy.

I doubt that manually deleting all working Tasks, via CCleaner or any another software would solve the problem as any underlying problem might not be addressed, right?  I also am afraid that, if I did that, then the working Tasks would be gone and I might not be able to re-create them.  For those reasons and to learn exactly what happened and how to fix it, I am going to take a more surgical approach.  It's not urgent (yet?) so I can take some time. :)

I have NOT installed CleanMEM's Task Scheduler until I sort all this out. So, if you are on Windows 7 64-bit would you do me the favor of looking in your properly working System at the CleanMEM Registry entries here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree ?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
Sounds like the mini monitor is crashing for some reason.

Cleanmem itself will always keep running from the task scheduler on the time you have it set.

Cleanmem.exe and the mini monitor are separate form each other.

Cleanmem.exe runs and then closes when ran from the task scheduler, it does its job and then closes down.

But for the mini monitor lets find out why it is crashing :-)

Have you checked the event viewer for any logs of the crash?

ON a test PC I noticed that when the computer went back tot he login screen and I signed back in that the monitor would crash at random times.

Is there any errors of any kind you get when it closes?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
I am not the author of this program but I can offer some suggestions:

- I didn't know that Tasks were/can be stored in the registry. No, that entry is on my 64 bit Win 7 system completely empty.
- There're also a number of (sub-)folders called "Tasks" under "System32" & "Syswow64" where Tasks are stored (xml format). (Keep it simple, right ??)
"C:\windows\system32\tasks" contains for me the CLEANMEM task. You can open it with a text editor. Perhaps file(s) over there got damaged.
- TS is certainly acting weird. Try a different tack. make a shortcut to the mini monitor program and place it in one of the "Start up folders". Then it will be started upon boot and perhaps then TS will accept the changes you make in the mini monitor & cleanmem.
- Mini-monitor refusing to remain running: check for crashdumps.
- The folder in which CLEANMEM is installed contains a XML file for TS as well. Perhaps re-importing that in TS helps.

I am out of suggestions. Let's see what the author says.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:00:52 PM by Willy2 »

Offline jmjsquared

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »
Thanks for your assistance, Shane; nice to make your e-acquaintance but before I take up more of your time, I am going to make absolutely sure my system isn't the source of the problem I'm *blaming* on CleanMEM because:

1. As my original post said, following its acting up, after I disabled SSDP Discovery Service AND UAC, CleanMEM was performing again as expected .  Perhaps I was confusing in sharing that "fix" because I asked for related help in the same breath, so to speak.  :shy:  In my own defense, though, I don't see how UAC (which was enabled when I first installed and successfully used CleanMEM ) is now preventing Mini Monitor's running at all.

2. Since my posting and receiving Willy2's and your responses, I re-enabled UAC and the problem has reappeared.  Since I haven't seen anything similar in this Forum, it appears that there MAY BE a Privilege problem on my machine. 

3.  Since my last post, CleanMEM successfully installed CleanMEM Task Schedule in my error-throwing Windows Task Scheduler, I'm guessing that it didn't cause the problem.

Note:  -- Though the option is enabled, CleanMEM is NOT generating logs in C:\.
          -- There are not Event Viewer Entries.

Will post back with solutions... or further requests for HELP.

Thanks again for a nice, very inexpensive tool and for such a friendly, responsive web presence.   :wink:

-- JMJ

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »
- When "kicked into action" by TS, CLEANMEM (CM) is supposed to run under the System Account and therefore shouldn't trigger the UAC at all. Perhaps you changed that ?
- "C:\" is indeed the default folder for the CM logfile. But that folder is a tricky one. Better change it to the folder where CM has been installed. On top of that, you need to specify which processes are to be logged by CM. See Task Manager. If those processes aren't running then the CM can't curtail any processes and won't show up in the CM logfile.
- When you change the Mini Monitor (MM) start up option then it automatically changes the info in TS as well.
- Sometimes on my system the firewall's UAC gets triggered upon start up. But that's because of the MM's "Remote Viewer".
- Perhaps you made CM only available for "current user only" (upon installation) ? Then I could imagine that the UAC gets triggered.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:42:50 PM by Willy2 »

Offline jmjsquared

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »
My issue has been resolved by simply following Willy2's advice and changing Mini Monitor's startup to At Logon of Any User.  Not sure why that worked, because mine is the only User Account, but it did.

On my system, CleanMEM has always run problem-free with or without UAC enabled.  However, after starting and running for a few minutes, Mini Monitor continues to "self-close" unless UAC is enabled.  So, in order to avoid the annoying UAC prompts and to run MiniMonitor, I ran: Secpol.msc -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode and chose Elevate without prompting, which is probably a safer choice than disabling UAC, anyway.

Thanks for your help, Willy2 and Shane.   :smiley:

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
Windows is a VERY complex system. And I never have tinkered with the system, I think I am merely "scratching the surface". In that regard i am surprised to see that one of my suggestions actually helped to get CM working.

Offline jmjsquared

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
1. The gentleman be too modest, methinks.
2. Windows IS a complex organism with which I delight in tinkering.  I subscribe to Shane's philosophy, with a twist: "If it ain't broke, give it to me and I'll fix that."
3. CleanMEM always functioned properly; Mini Monitor was my problem.
4. My Kaat sends her disregards.  :angry:

Thanks again, Willy2.   :wink:

Ciao.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:00:02 AM »
There're a number of programs I "torture" extensively (e.g. Cleanmem & Tweaking's Windows Repair) and that's how I got very good knowledge of the (possible) behaviour of these programs.

I chose the avatar because I like the comic character ("Felix the cat") but cats in my neighbourhood drop their turds in my garden.  :angry:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:17:46 AM by Willy2 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:00:02 AM »

email