Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Microsoft Exchange Server + POP Connector?  (Read 11625 times)

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
Microsoft Exchange Server + POP Connector?
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »

Hi All,

We currently have a server running Windows Server 2008 R2. We want it to send and receive email for our domain, eg. Example.com. The thing is we don't want to host the server completely on the 2008 R2 as that would require a static IP which we don't really want to pay for. We hope to be able to send and receive email through the free POP/SMTP email server from Godaddy (It currently doesn't work for us very well because it doesn't sync read and unread, sent, etc. It's really not that great) that is provided with our domain name. I think there is no way to do this without third party software? Or is there an pop connector in Windows Server?

How should I get POP and SMTP connected? And when I do, should I rename the domain? Currently the domain is say, Example.local. Users would be username@example.local, but their email will be username@example.com. Should I rename the domain? And if so, to what?

Thanks for the help & advise!

Sam

PcWinTech.com Forums

Microsoft Exchange Server + POP Connector?
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Microsoft Exchange Server + POP Connector?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:21:22 AM »
That I am not sure on.

On some of my customers only 2 of them host their own email. And they have a static internet IP and the bandwidth to handle it (30 mb connection I think)

That is how exchange is meant to be done.

What you want to do may be possible, but I have never set it up like that before.

You need the static IP for the mx record so email servers know where to send the emails to. Which is PoP when your users connect to get their email. SMTP isnt that big of a deal you can have exchange or the email clients use what ever smtp they want to send the email out.

If you dont want to fully host it, what is the goal your looking for? Perhaps if I know the end goal I can think of something that might work :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »
That I am not sure on.

On some of my customers only 2 of them host their own email. And they have a static internet IP and the bandwidth to handle it (30 mb connection I think)

That is how exchange is meant to be done.

What you want to do may be possible, but I have never set it up like that before.

You need the static IP for the mx record so email servers know where to send the emails to. Which is PoP when your users connect to get their email. SMTP isnt that big of a deal you can have exchange or the email clients use what ever smtp they want to send the email out.

If you dont want to fully host it, what is the goal your looking for? Perhaps if I know the end goal I can think of something that might work :-)

Shane

Well, the goal is to have a email system that not only syncs all read and unread emails (that the GoDaddy email doesn't do), but also is fully compatible with our domain, and hopefully can have shared calenders, contacts, a way to centrally manage and backup, and a way to monitor the email for specific managers/supervisors. For example, sales managers need to see all the sales people's emails to be able to see what quote requests have been responded to and what still needs to be done. (Sales managers currently have to go to each individual employee's computer to see the email- which is a real pain)

We definitely have the bandwidth to handle hosting the server all together (45mbps+ down Business Internet), it's just that we would need a static IP which is an extra $10, and we'd like to do it for free anyway we can. Looks like we might have to pay the $10.

I have tried setting up exchange like how you described in the past, (got all the MX records, etc setup correctly), but email was bouncing back with an error because of no static IP. Apparently some email services can't accept mail from a sticky dynamic IP.

So what do you think?

Sam

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »
Honestly it is worth the $10.

On my clients with exchange they do everything you want to do, and I enable imap so they can stay synced with their phones as well. I dont do pop3 as imap is good for syncing.

Also make sure to make the smtp require a username and password so spammers don't find your IP and start sending junk mail through your server :wink:

While you have the download speed you need to make sure you have the upload speed as well. When they send any email with attachments, that upload speed is going to come in handy :-)

I personally hate when my customers want to host their own email. Because that means that when it breaks none of their email is going to work till it is fixed. So make sure you have some good backups running every night :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
Honestly it is worth the $10.

On my clients with exchange they do everything you want to do, and I enable imap so they can stay synced with their phones as well. I dont do pop3 as imap is good for syncing.

Also make sure to make the smtp require a username and password so spammers don't find your IP and start sending junk mail through your server :wink:

While you have the download speed you need to make sure you have the upload speed as well. When they send any email with attachments, that upload speed is going to come in handy :-)

I personally hate when my customers want to host their own email. Because that means that when it breaks none of their email is going to work till it is fixed. So make sure you have some good backups running every night :-)

Shane

Ok. I think you convinced me to get an static IP.

Now that we have the static IP, please answer my original question- should the domain be changed from Company.local to Company.com? Email addresses are user@company.com..

Sam

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
No need to change the domain, keep it .local, That is for the server itself.

In exchange you will be able to set it up as .com :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
No need to change the domain, keep it .local, That is for the server itself.

In exchange you will be able to set it up as .com :-)

Shane

Sorry, Shane. This is still all new to me :confused:

How would we setup exchange to .com? Would just setting it up normally in accepted domains and stuff be sufficient? And what if users tried to login with their emails- user@company.com instead of user@company.local?

Thanks  :smiley:,
Sam

Edit: currently emails are firstname@company.com. Would it make more sense to change it to the domain usernames (firstinitiallast@company.com)? It think I'll do that, but would it be possible to have all emails that are sent to the old addresses forward to the new? I'm almost certain it's possible, but how....?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:11:23 PM by samh »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »
Exchange allows you to have more than one email address per user, so yes that will work :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
Exchange allows you to have more than one email address per user, so yes that will work :-)

Shane

How would we setup exchange to .com? Would just setting it up normally in accepted domains and stuff be sufficient? And what if users tried to login with their emails- user@company.com instead of user@company.local?

So how would we do it?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »
You will setup the emails as .com

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Ok, I've gotten everything setup and can send and receive emails perfectly fine now from Microsoft Outlook. Horray!!! :cheesy: :smiley:

What do you do with your clients for back up? Do you have a secondary server? Windows Server Backup?

Sam
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:09:17 PM by samh »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
I had them buy Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5

And I do a full system backup. I have them get the universal restore option. That allows me to restore the Windows backup image to new hardware if the current one takes a crap on me :-)

Worth the money when it comes to that, of course they also have 80 GB of email in exchange and 40 users.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
I had them buy Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5

And I do a full system backup. I have them get the universal restore option. That allows me to restore the Windows backup image to new hardware if the current one takes a crap on me :-)

Worth the money when it comes to that, of course they also have 80 GB of email in exchange and 40 users.

Shane

Acronis Backup is $1199 for exchange alone + $859 for the server... Ease Todo Server Backup is $199, which includes Exchange backup. I've used Ease Todo Personal Edition and it has worked great... What makes you chose Acronis Backup over cheaper alternatives?

Sam

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »
What makes you chose Acronis Backup over cheaper alternatives?

Mainly because they already had it LOL

I am always open to other tools. So fell free to let me know. I always enjoy making friends with fellow techs :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline samh

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »
What makes you chose Acronis Backup over cheaper alternatives?

Mainly because they already had it LOL

I am always open to other tools. So fell free to let me know. I always enjoy making friends with fellow techs :-)

Shane

Hi Shane,

Sorry for responding so late! I must have skipped over the topic reply email somehow..

But thanks so much for the help with everything, you've been awesome  :smiley:

Sam

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »