Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: No network adapter?  (Read 3793 times)

Offline vici30

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
No network adapter?
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »
Hey guys. I have a problem, too hard to explain in one question. So here's my story. But first, here's my setup:

Router model: TP-LINK - TL-WR841N
Internet cable coming into the router in the main port, then another internet cable feeding my PC through port 1 (there are 4 ports). Also, laptop and mobile devices accessing internet via WiFi.
No other device in my home like modem or stuff like that. Internet comes from a box outside my apartment.

It all started with boredom (I don't know if it's related or not to my current problem). I was bored, so I decided to play online with a friend, specifically Minecraft. In order to host a server, I had to forward port 25565, but it didn't work when I did it manually through the router settings page(I may have a couple of topics related to this in the port Forwarding section of this forum). Eventually, I used a program from portforward.com called Portforward Setup Static IP Address. As the name suggests, this program supposedly made my IP address static. After that, I used the Simple Port Forwarding tool to forward port 25565. I could finally play Minecraft with my friend. The next day, I also forwarded port 11155, used for Tunngle, as I also started to play another game with my friend. For a couple of days everything was fine. One evening, I ended a play session. Three hours later, I started my laptop (everything else is happening on the PC) and I noticed that the Internet didn't work. It connected to my WiFi network, but the pages wouldn't load. I verified and there was the same problem on my PC and my mobile device. The following day I started to investigate further. It was curious that there was no error displayed, and no red 'X' or '!' displayed anywhere. I called my ISP and they told me I didn't show up as connected to them. Also, they sent a team to my home. They unplugged my wireless router and plugged the internet cable straight into my PC. When they tried to connect they encountered error 691. They ended up calling their server guys and changing my password (from the ISP, not router). After that the internet was working again. Before they left, they told me that I had to re-configure my WiFi in order for it to work. The most stupid thing ever I did here was not to ask how to do so :(. Anyways, after they left I disconnected from the internet, unplugged the internet cable from the PC and plugged it back into the router. Then I used another internet cable coming out from port 1 from the router into my PC (my original setup). Of course, the internet wasn't working. This time, red X on the connections icon. I didn't reconfigure my router since I didn't know what they really meant, since they told me it's not the same as resetting it (which I know how to do). So I created a new internet connection using my username and new password provided by my ISP, but still it didn't work.
And that was the backstory. The main problem now is that the internet works if I plug the cable directly into the PC (it seems to be slower, though), but not through the router. Furthermore, when I tried to re-install the router software from the CD, it told me that I had no network adapter. I don't know what it is, but I obviously have one since it worked before and it works now through direct connection. Indeed, ipconfig didn't return any addresses, default gateways or stuff like that that I usually see when I'm connected.

TL,DR: Internet works through direct connection, but it doesn't through the router, which tells me I have no network adapter.

Help would be appreciated.

PS: I wonder if my gaming shenanigans affected anything, since everything was fine for 2 days until the problem.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:15:34 AM by vici30 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

No network adapter?
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: No network adapter?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »
It sounds like the tp link went out on you.

If you hooked it back up and your computer hooked up to it are you able to log into the tp link at all?

If not then the tp link simply died on you and it wasnt anything you did.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline vici30

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »
It sounds like the tp link went out on you.

If you hooked it back up and your computer hooked up to it are you able to log into the tp link at all?

If not then the tp link simply died on you and it wasnt anything you did.

Shane

I'm going to get it checked out today... I thought TP-Link were among the best in this domain :( I've only had it for a few months...

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
I am a netgear fan my self, but they all still go bad at random times :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:52 PM »
Best thing to do is try another router and see if it works. You can also try your router with a friend or family's connection to see if it works. The problem is definitely the router, but whether it is a configuration issue (which you should ask your ISP about) or the router itself you can only find out by trying other hardware.

Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:52 PM »

email