Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Improve the program - DHCP Range important!  (Read 8949 times)

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Improve the program - DHCP Range important!
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
This is correct way of setting a Static IP on a computer.

#1 Log-in to the router.

#2 Find the DHCP Server Range in the router.

#3 Make sure that the DHCP Range in the router does not occupy the whole subnet.

#4 If the the DHCP Range in the router occupies the whole subnet, you must make it smaller.

For example if a router is at 192.168.1.1, the Starting IP Address is at 192.168.1.2, and the Ending IP Address is at 192.168.1.254, you could make the Starting IP Address 192.168.1.100

#5 Then you setup a Static IP outside of the DHCP Server Range.

For example if a router is at 192.168.1.1, the Starting IP Address is at 192.168.1.100, and the Ending IP Address is at 192.168.1.254, you could make the Static IP Address 192.168.1.6

#6 Any other way of setting a Static IP on a computer (not for a computer) is wrong.

For example of what I mean by setting a Static IP for a computer (but not on the computer), if an user has a router with DD-WRT, I point to

www.dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Tutorials -> (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router) -> Static DHCP

#7 As to why, it is wrong any other way: IP Address conflicts are more likely to happen.

I point to http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/f/ip_conflict.htm where one of the reasons is

A system administrator assigns a computer a static IP address within the local network's DHCP range (dynamic IP range), and the same address is automatically assigned by the local DHCP server.

Not one program that I know of does it correctly.

Suggestion to improve the program.

#1 Ask what router it is.

#2 Ask what the control login credentials of the router are.

#3 Log-in to the router.

#4 Then..

a) If the router offers the ability to leave the computer not setup to use a Static IP but that IP Address can be the same every time (for example the DD-WRT link above), then setting up a Static DHCP / DHCP Reservation.

b) If the router does not offer the ability to leave the computer not setup to use a Static IP but that IP Address can be the same every time (for example the DD-WRT link above), then setting a Static IP the correct way.

c) OR instead of a and b, regardless if the router offers or does not offer the ability to leave the computer not setup to use a Static IP but that IP Address can be the same every time (for example the DD-WRT link above), then setting a Static IP the correct way.

d) OR instead of 1-4c, telling users in the program about the correct way of setting a Static IP on a computer.

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:02:26 PM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Improve the program - DHCP Range important!
« on: May 28, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Improve the program - DHCP Range important!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
Under normal setups going through all the trouble is a waste of time.

Most routers start giving out IPs at .100 or .1 depending on the router. By always doing the higher end such as .200 or higher it is 99% safe to do. In 17 years of setting up networks I have never seen enough devices hooked up to a home router that I have ever seen the dhcp get past .200 on handing out IPs. That would be over 100 devices hooked up, home routers can only handle so many connections before you have to upgrade to a business grade router to handle so many connections.

While there is a small chance certain routers may be set to give IPs starting that high there is a 99% chance most routers don't. I have yet to run into a single IP conflicted using the higher ranges.

So save the user a unneeded step and just use the higher ranger of .200 and above.

Your choice :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
Interesting.

While I understand where you are coming from, at least adding a message to check the range would help.

Thank you.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
Also when you said

Home routers can only handle so many connections before you have to upgrade to a business grade router to handle so many connections.

That is talking about traffic to and from the Internet (It does not talk about LAN / Local traffic).

Please re-consider my suggestion, even if all you do is tell users to check the DHCP Range.

Thank you.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »
That is talking about traffic to and from the Internet (It does not talk about LAN / Local traffic).

Exactly, if someone has enough devices hooked up they will all have internet access, and the home based routers only support I think around 10,000 concurrent connections. Had to upgrade a customer of mine to a new router that could do 60,000 connections. They only had 25 machines. Thats only 25 IPs handed out at any time. Still not close to getting to the upper range.

I havent seen a router yet hand out an IP above .200 unless the user changed the dhcp to start at .200

I do see your point, it is always good to check just in case, right now the odds of hitting that upper range are less than 1%.

If I ever do an update to the simple static IP tool I will see about adding some simple text in there saying to check the dhcp range in the router.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
I havent seen a router yet hand out an IP above .200 unless the user changed the dhcp to start at .200

I heard/read, by default routers provided by Verizon for FIOS have the DHCP range of .2 to .254

I do see your point, it is always good to check just in case, right now the odds of hitting that upper range are less than 1%.

If I ever do an update to the simple static IP tool I will see about adding some simple text in there saying to check the dhcp range in the router.

Unknown when you will, but good to hear/read. :)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
I heard/read, by default routers provided by Verizon for FIOS have the DHCP range of .2 to .254

Yes but it starts at .2 which means it would take 198 devices connecting and asking for an IP for it to reach .200 :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »

email