Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Version v1.1.0  (Read 18258 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Version v1.1.0
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:34:14 AM »
I installed the program and came across a number of bugs:

1. When the mouse arrow hovers over the system tray icon then:
- the info shows "Drive: _total". The program doesn't show the drive name (C:, D:, E:, ........). What is supposed to show up ?
- Both counters remain at "0 bytes/s".
3. After installing the program a weird icon showed up, both on the task bar and on the desktop. See attachment in the second post.

Since there're only 2 (!!) posts in this subforum, it seems no one has tried the program (extensively). Better to integrate ut in the CSFM program ? Are you willing to update the program or perhaps it better to terminate the program ? How many times was the program downloaded ?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:41:35 AM by Willy2 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Version v1.1.0
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:34:14 AM »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: Version v1.1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:42:41 AM »
See attachment.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
1. When the mouse arrow hovers over the system tray icon then:
- the info shows "Drive: _total". The program doesn't show the drive name (C:, D:, E:, ........). What is supposed to show up ?
- Both counters remain at "0 bytes/s".

The program does all the drives on the system. It uses the Windows performance counters to pull the data. You can control which drive to monitor in the settings file but that is for advanced users. And it will only show if the drive is reading or writing. But performance monitor has to be working on the system.

3. After installing the program a weird icon showed up, both on the task bar and on the desktop. See attachment in the second post.
Odd, works find on my system, I wonder if Windows isnt seeing the icon file for it.

Since there're only 2 (!!) posts in this subforum, it seems no one has tried the program (extensively). Better to integrate ut in the CSFM program ? Are you willing to update the program or perhaps it better to terminate the program ? How many times was the program downloaded ?

Or it could be there isnt a lot of posts because there isnt any bugs lol

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »
Same old problem with the icons. I don't remember what I did, but I assume I installed SpeedoMeter (SM) and made a shortcut and placed it on my desktop.

When I pull up the properties of the shortcut and try to change the icon then an error is generated: "Can't find the file %programfiles%\xxxxxxx\logo.ico".

Two things went wrong:
1. SM is installed in a %programfiles(x86)% subfolder.
2. There's no file called "logo.ico" in that %programfiles(x86)% subfolder.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:18:45 PM »
I have installed a program called "DiskLed"
http://helgeklein.com/blog/2009/11/how-to-easily-monitor-system-performance-with-the-new-diskled-1-1

This program monitors disk I/O and when Windows accesses the harddisk a system tray icon lights up. In the first say 3, 4 or 5 minutes after startup of my Win 7 laptop this system tray icon remains solid red, revealing heavy disk I/O. But during this time the SM counter remains at zero. weird.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »
1. I disabled DISKLED (thought it would get it the way of SM) but to no avail. 2. Changed the drive to "c:" but again doesn't track any drive. counters remain at zero. Is the syntax right ? Should it be something different ?  "c" or "c:\" ?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »
The program uses the Windows performance counters to read the drives, are those working?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 04:10:39 AM »
I applied the reg tweak. I opened the preformance monitor (perfmon.msc) and it seems to work. Now I know why the program uses "_Total". But somehow DS fails to to translate this text into something "workable".

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:53:23 PM »
I think it's a language related problem. SM is tested for an english system and I am on a dutch system. And then it can't find the proper string.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
I'll provide more info.

I have installed a program called "DiskLed"
http://helgeklein.com/blog/2009/11/how-to-easily-monitor-system-performance-with-the-new-diskled-1-1

This program monitors disk I/O and when Windows accesses the harddisk a system tray icon lights up. In the first few (3, 4, 5(??)) minutes after startup of my Win 7 laptop this system tray icon remains solid red, revealing heavy disk I/O. But during this time the DS counter remains at zero. weird.

When I tried to configure this program it generated an error. I also was wondering why this program was able to pull up the dutch text from my laptop, because I knew this was program made in Germany. And I can assure you, the german language is quite different from the dutch language. Like dutch is quite different from english. Then it dawned upon me that this program was able to pull up some non language related, Windows specific unique identifier, some unique registry (???) info that allowed the program to display that dutch text. See attachment. The marked text (in yellow) is in dutch.

I also had to give this program the order to "build", to generate some special piece of text/info to allow this program to pull up info/data from the Windows Performance Monitor. Then this program functioned/worked again. That strongly suggests that DriveSpeedometer (DS) uses the english version of this text, info (whatever) to let DS function. But then it doesn't function in other languages.

Remember what happened with WR ? Remember the "/grant=everyone" problem ? I think there must be a way in Windows to circumvent this "language" problem.

This also raises the question: In what other programs do you use language specific info as well ?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:48:29 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
Another problem: when I want to open the "Settings" menu then sometimes that windows doesn't show up. I do get a DS button on the taskbar but I then must select "Reset windows postions" to get the DS "Settings" window/pane back onto the (visible part of the) screen.

It reminds me of CM having the same problem in the past. Does DS store the X & Y coordinates in the registry ?
(I know that DS is derived from CM)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:20:55 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »
Your right on being on a non english.

I havent looked at the code in a while but I checked and the only way connect tot he performance mon is by the name.

AddCounter 1, "\PhysicalDisk(" & sDrive & ")\Disk Read Bytes/sec", hQuery
    AddCounter 2, "\PhysicalDisk(" & sDrive & ")\Disk Write Bytes/sec", hQuery

So in this case it is looking for "PhysicalDisk" in the performance monitor.

Only way around it is to add the "PhysicalDisk" to the settings file where you could change it to what would match on your system. ONly draw back is it still wont work on unicode languages.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:01 AM »
And here's a - IMO - a better layout for DS. See attachment.

- I removed "Randomize colors".
- changed "Disable Bar fills" to "Enable bar fills".
- Grey out ALL the "Drive read bar" & "Drive write bar" (sub-)options when the "Enable bar fills" option hasn't been selected.
- Notice the space under "Show monitor". It allows the this text to be displayed in a larger font.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:34:51 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »
I will loo at this more in the next few weeks. As now that my game is out I have to get caught up on a ton of things and updates.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »

email