Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: CS Fire monitor  (Read 12386 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
CS Fire monitor
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »
I noticed that you included the CLEANMEM program in the files that come with CS Fire Monitor (CSFM). Wasn't it possible to include the "EmptyWorkingSet()" API somewhere in the CSFM program code ? In combination with a timer, that would execute the API every say, 5 or 10 minutes ?

PcWinTech.com Forums

CS Fire monitor
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: CS Fire monitor
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
I added that to it years ago. And CleanMem does a little more than just call the API, this is why all the copy cats out there havent been able to clean as many processes as CleanMem can :-)

In fact the version of CleanMem with my old CS Fire monitor is v1.2 from 2008 lol

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
I read that you try to keep CSFM's memory usage under 10 MB. So, I thought you had included this API in the CSFM programcode itself. But it seems CSFM calls the CM program. Time to issue an new CSFM update ? with the new CM version ?

I am working to improve the dutch language file for CSFM. Seems to be a long time this file got translated/updated. The biggest problem is to not let the length of the strings to grow too much. Quite a challenge.

Is it normal that some hardware (drivers/program) appear multiple times in the hardware reports ? (see attachment)

Suggestions to improve CSFM:
- Highlight the active header ("Monitors", "reports", .....)
- Make the navigation pane (a bit) wider and add a separate scroll bar.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:16:54 PM »
The program uses wmi to pull the list of hardware. So it will be however WMI reports it.

Then the program keeps the list and uses it to compare the next time you run it looking for anything added or removed.

I am not sure if I will update CS fire monitor yet as I haven't touched it in over 5 years. But I have had it on the back of my mind to take it, revamp it and perhaps give it a better name and put it on Tweaking.com but if I do that it wont be till later :-)

CS Fire monitor still works very well. But there are a lot of updates and changes I would want to do. My programming skills have gotten a lot better since then.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 04:50:59 AM »
Perhaps this program can give you inspiration which functions you want to include in the next CSFM version. I use it because it monitors harddisk activity. My harddisk has a LED that lights up when the harddisk is accessed, but it's placed on the side of my laptop. I can't see it from when I sit at my desk. That's why this software LED is so useful. In e.g. the first 2, 3 5 (??) minutes this LED shows that there's heavy disk I/O. Then I know that my laptop won't respond to any mouseclicks.
http://helgeklein.com/blog/2009/11/how-to-easily-monitor-system-performance-with-the-new-diskled-1-1/

Install it and see what possibilities the program offers. What I like most in CSFM is the graph that shows internet traffic. It's clear that small amounts of data are send to and fro my laptop.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 05:26:41 AM »
Thats what my drive speedometer does :-)

http://www.pcwintech.com/drive-speedometer

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
I  must rewrite my previous post.

This program

http://helgeklein.com/blog/2009/11/how-to-easily-monitor-system-performance-with-the-new-diskled-1-1

can be configuerd to serve as a software substitute for a (hardware) HDD LED. Instead of HDD activity one also can let the program monitor other data tranfers in a computer system. That's why I thought it could be useful as a source of inspiration for a new CSFM version. i.e., add other monitors. To show how other data transfers are "behaving". But CSFM should show this data in a graph, like the internet graph/chart in CSFM.

What I like about the internet speed monitor in CSFM is that the data is shown in a chart/graph. And that's lacking in Speedometer.

Currently CSFM only displays the amount of free/occupied diskspace. CSFM could be changed to show disk I/O traffic (instead of disk usage ??).

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
That program pulls from the performance monitor in windows just like mine does :-)

What I like about the internet speed monitor in CSFM is that the data is shown in a chart/graph. And that's lacking in Speedometer.

That is something to think about. I didnt do it at first since you can do it manually in the performance monitor already.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »

email