Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Simple Port Tester: Always reports success, while on-line page reports failure.  (Read 6776 times)

Offline bwechner

• PcWinTech Member
This is confusing me. A related question I posed is at:

http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,3888.0.html

I can run the Simple Port tester on any port and it reports Success. Moreover if the page load is slow enough I can see in the panel on right the result that the port can be reached.

If I try the same thing from

http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php

Alas it reports failure, the port cannot be reached.

Alas the help is not clear enough for me, and I'm left guessing what this means. Does it mean that when Simple Port Tester is listening there is success and when it is not then there is no success?

That is a guessed interpretation and it would be nice if this were described somewhere.

If I am right, then I would deeply appreciate being able to start a listener, and leave it running, and see success from the website, or see success from some other independent port tester like:

http://tools.slsknet.org/porttest.php?port=nn

I could then sniff the packets with Wireshark during a test to get a feel for goings on.

The broader context of my problem is that I had my ports open, in particular those used by SoulSeek like 2236, and I used to test it with that page, but since churning from Netspace to Dodo, it reports as closed. Dodo assure me they do no port blocking. So I'm keen to determine what's up. Now I'm a tad bamboozled by these Simple Port Tester results and want to understand what is happening.

Cheers,

Bernd.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
It says on my port tester program page :wink:

Most online port testers fail no matter what if nothing accepts their connection attempt. This port tester program will open the port on the system it is running on and listen for a connection from this site. So when the port tester program says the ports are open you can count that they are :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
After getting an open according to the port checker that you download.

#1 If the program that you want to forward is running, close that program.

#2 Close out the port checker that you downloaded.

#3 Open the program that you want to forward to.

#4 Make sure the port in the program that you forward to is not set to be a random port.

#5 Make sure the port in the program that you forward to, is set so that it is the port that you checked and found open.

#6 Recheck the port for the program that you want to use, using any web based port checker.

#7 As long as the program that you forward to does not use (or is not set to use) UDP, then using any web based port checker the port that you checked should be open.

#8 If not an open TCP port, please report back that fact.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline bwechner

• PcWinTech Member
Thanks enormously for your time and comments Shane. An awesome tool and an awesome forum.

I have got the ports going now (well, to me deep frustration, I didn't actually get anything going, I just proved they work and the frustration is, that their not working since churning and Dodo claiming no blockage caused me to embark on a time consuming series of tests).

In any case I did read your advice before posting and I did surmised that the on-line one fails because Simple Port Tester (although running) is not listening when I try it, and the Simple Port Tester is only listening when the Begin button is clicked, after which it does a listen and runs the web tester to generate an incoming connection attempt, all at once.

My suggestions stand however, that it would be nice if:

• The possible Open? results and what they mean could be clearly documented somewhere
  • that there be an option perhaps to stop at the web result page, not clear the right panel and wait till a continue button is pressed. Reason being I feel comfortable seeing the result and it flashes dpast quickly sometimes never to be seen presumably to be converted by Simple Port Tester into a result in the Open? column.

I would add to those a suggestion to implement a button which simply starts Simple Port Tester listening on all the listed ports and a button to stop it listening. This would permit its use with other on-line port testers too. And finally it would be awesome to see some expected packet traces. I was watching on Wireshark so I can see a successful packet trace and a failed one, and yes this lent the conclusion you posted, namely that the failed one seemed to differs in that it lacked an ACK response from my side. But when the connections are flaky, you don't know what's going on, and and who is listening on what port (for example I found tat something is listening on 80 and 129 here but don't know what, so presume it's Windows itself) it's really comforting to see a packet trace in Wireshark.

All not necessary, an excellent tool as is, but some improvement ideas to make it even better IMHO ;-).

Thanks for sharing it and for your time, positively awesome.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Grab this
http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-internet-tools-dozen-simple-helpful-tools

Some programs I made years back, in it is a port listener :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline bwechner

• PcWinTech Member
That's awesome Shane! Don't know how you keep it up with a family and all. I can barely find time to scratch myself let alone produce piles of cool tools for others  :wink:.

I'll try the port listener, and I'll port tester and reconstruct my firewall rules in a rigorous way. Should all fall into place now. The hassle and spectre of possible ISP port blocking alas is real and when churning it's good to do tests methinks if some services (that rely on port listening) start failing.

Keep it up!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
I can barely find time to scratch myself let alone produce piles of cool tools for others

I always find time to scratch myself.... LOL

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums