Author Topic: Multiple Unknown Account User/Groups in folder properties security tab  (Read 21104 times)

Offline jabb.350

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
HELP!! I THINK IM HACKED!!!
 :cry:I'm using a laptop to connect to out homegroup with a password. I'm running Window's 7 Professional, version 6.1 Build 7601, running IE9. I have Norton through Comcast. Over the past few months, in some files and programs' properties box, on hte security tab in the Group or User names: box that lists the administrators, users, and their permissions, I now have up to six different "Account Unknown?(S-1-5-80-2375682873-768044350-" 3534595160-1005545032-2873800392)"
In some folders there will not be any, and in others it varies.
In the "Permoissions for..." box, they all have a greyed out check mark either allowing them to Read, Read & Execute, Write, or Modify.
But usually only two or three of them. I edit the permissions and deny full control, then try to remove them and it tells me it has a parent folder that must be deleted first.
All of hte numbers are different, and even if it accepts the full deny permissions, the greyed out X remains.!!

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Multiple Unknown Account User/Groups in folder properties security tab
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Doesn't mean you have been hacked. :wink:

I see that on a lot of systems that had deleted other user accounts. Those accounts had access to folders and when the account got deleted the permissions don't leave. So instead you get unknown account.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline jabb.350

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »
By User Accounts, are you meaning the Users that you select to log in that show up when you first turn it on? I've only ever had two, Administrator and julia. Our home network( on a Belkin router)we have reset it or our ip address multiple times... so the network name swithches between julia-PC and eric-PC( his computer is physically connected)
I was looking at MS Office properties folder that is on my desktop, it says that it is on a "public desktop",and I came across new group names that only have special permissions... along with different families of numbers next to the Account Unknown... totally differnt than other folders (the screenshot attached), and now all of a sudden whenever I close Word, after I save the document, it asks if I want to save hte changes that I made to the global template; even when I haven't made a single change! And folders are being moved, and shared when I didn't share them, and it won't let me move them or unshare them!
Last night there were names caleed BATCH and INTERACTIVE with all permissions, and I just looked nad they're gone... ANd the the office icons on my desktop keep moving and rearranging themselves!!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »
They are just left over account info from something. Point is it is most likly nothing bad. And you can safly edit the permissions and remove those unknown accounts :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline jabb.350

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
THank You!! I'm not quite sure how I did it, but I am now able to remove them. Thank you!!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
No problem :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums