Author Topic: Cleanmem v2.4.3  (Read 44026 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Cleanmem v2.4.3
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
Not sure as I have never had the need to put in more than 8GB and I only need 8 GB when I am running VMware. Otherwise my memory usage never goes above 2 GB.

As for the pop up I decided to not do any pop ups. People hate them, I know I do lol

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 05:06:30 AM »
- Don't save the text (e.g. "1 cleaned") from the column "Results" in the AM to disk. Then the AM won't pull up the outdated info from disk upon start up of the MM/AM. Then the content of the column "Results" is consistent with the text under the rules window ("Last checked: Never"). Display spaces in the column "Results" until the first AM cleanup.

This reduces access to the "rules" file to 2 points in the program: 1) the start of the AM 2) when the user adds/removes a rule in the AM.

Somewhere on this forum you wrote that CM is installed on some 1 million times. I guess you count the number of times the program makes contact with the CM server everyday. I think it's better to limit this check to once every day. That gives you a more accurate reading.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »
No I just go by the download numbers on all the mirror sites :-)

I dont keep track of when the program hits the site to check for updates.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
Then I hope you reset those counters with every new version of CM.  :wink:

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
I watched my laptop, with 8 GB of memory, for a while to see how Windows 7 & CM would behave. I gave IE9 more space (CM curtails a IE process only when it uses more than 100 MB). File cache cleaned only when > 80 MB. Every 30 minutes CM cleans the entire memory except for IE and about 4 to 5 other programs.

With these parameters CM keeps memory usage in normal situations at 19 to 28%. (IE9 running). Total memory usage (incl. "Stand-by") always exceeds 4 GB and regularly approaches and/or touches 6 GB. Only in rare occasions and after long sessions memory usage approaches the 8GB mark. On balance, I am glad I increased the memory from 4 Gb to 8 Gb.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:48:25 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »
Standby memory is a good thing. Windows keeps things there in case it is needed again. After a while it is cleared and it is actually available if it is needed. So you will see standby grow, which is fine :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2013, 07:57:52 AM »
I came across a number of things in CM that can be improved. It all has to do with the way the MM and the MM Settings pane/tab behaves.

- The default place for the MM is in the bottom right hand corner of the (visible) screen. When the user starts fiddling with all kinds of options in "Monitor Settings", the user can end up with a MM only being partially visible. Then a part of the MM is displayed "outside" the visible screen in BOTH the horizontal (!!) and/or vertical (!!) direction.

Solution:  add a subroutine that checks whether or not the X and Y coördinate of the bottom right hand corner of the MM is outside the screen.  And when appropriate, move the MM back inside the visible screen. This subroutine should be run every time after the user has made changes in the MM settings.

(I thought CM already has such a subroutine ? Perhaps this routine should be called upon in more places of program code ? Does the existing routine need to be modified ?)

- You mentioned some two years ago that you don't want to remove one or more options from the "Monitor Settings" tab. This was in response to a request from me to reduce the number of options in the "Monitor Settings" pane/tab. But what I REALLY, REALLY hate is the "Randomize Colors" option. Then the user can end up with such a nasty combination of colors. Ouch !!! Perhaps you're willing to remove that option ?

- When I change a number of settings then the MM is automatically updated (as it should) but there's someting odd going on. When I use a number of options then the CM window is dis-activated, as shown by the change in color of the header of the CM window. This "dis-activation" occurs when the user ticks e.g.:
     - Every option under "Monitor Windows:"
     - Round corners
     - Show bar borders
The "dis-activation" of the CM window doesn't occur when the user ticks e.g.:
     - Hide text
     - Hide text bar

The solution for this problem is - IMO - quite simple. Change the sequence in which the GUIs are updated. First update the MM GUI itself. Secondly, update the GUI of the "Monitor Settings" tab.

(Yes, I know, I am picky)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »
I know you don't like a pop up message for alerting the user a new version is available. But what about a pop up balloon (with pop up sound) located on the CM system tray icon. Windows Update does something similar and it's not too intrusive.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:44:46 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
Once I get back to make an update to my windows repair tool I will see about getting a new version of cleanmem done

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
I have a number of new suggestions for the new CM version.

- Frankly, I don't like the current lay-out too much and with some fiddling I came up with a new one. See attachment.
1. I removed "Randomize colors".
2. I rearranged the placement of a lot of options. Now it's a more logical arrangement, IMO.
3. I changed:
   A) "Hide text" to "Show monitor text" (or perhaps "Show text")
   B) "Disable bar fill" to "Enable bar fill".
4. Grey out the suboptions under A) & B) when not selected.
5. Add the option "none", "-----", or something along these lines, under the "2nd Text on Monitor". Selecting one text ("File Cache: .....") suffices for me.

- When I select one of the "Color Presets" then "Use bar fill" is switched off and "Use graphic fill" is switched on. Is this a bug or is this part of the design ?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:33:13 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »
That screen shot looks nice :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »
Thanks. Perhaps the lay-out requires a little bit more tweaking/change but I continue to like this much more.

1). Removing "Randomize colors" (I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hate it) allows the box "Monitor Colors:" to be moved lower. Then there's more space to display the text "Show Monitor" in one or two larger font sizes. (see first post in this thread).
2). Grey out "change bar fill graphic" when "Use bar fill color" has been selected.
3). When the user selects one of the "Color Presets" options then the option "Use bar Fill Graphic" is switched back on, as well. I think the option "Color Presets" shouldn't touch those  2 "bar fill" options at all.
4).  Something similar happens when the user hits "Randomize colors". Then "Use bar fill color" is always switched back on. (But "Randomize ..... " will get removed, right ? :wink: )
5). Change "Hide bar text" to "Show bar text".

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »
- CM has a programmable "Hot key" combo to force CM to do a clean up. But it doesn't force the AM to do a clean up. You could extent the cleaning scope of this hot key to the AM as well (for those who have a license key). And then also reset the timer(s) for the AM ???

- I experienced three times in the past 9 months (the last time was today) that the MM suddenly doesn't respond anymore when I clicked on the system tray icon. Then the MM also ran with very high CPU usage. (~ 50%). Then I had to kill that process and start the MM again. I don't remember what the precise circumstances were when this happened.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
- Question: In the "Remote Settings" tab, when the option "Enable Remote Feature" has been selected, then the text "Listen On Port" shows up in black characters but I can't change that value because it has been greyed out. I have to untick this option to be able to change that value. Bug ?

I never have used this feature. But the behaviour of the GUI is - at least - suspicious. Does it need more testing ?

(I noticed a typo in the settings file. "....chahc...." instead of ".....chache.....").
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:31:49 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »
When you enable the remote feature it connects and listens on that port, so you have to turn it off, change the port then turn it on. :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »

email