Author Topic: Cleanmem v2.4.3  (Read 43350 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: Cleanmem v2.4.3
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 02:33:04 AM »
I think there's another small CM Task Scheduler bug and it's MM related.

I deleted the old MM Task schedule, re-installed CM (v2.4.3) and put back the old MM settings file. And then an inconsistency popped up. There's no MM Task Scheduler job but the MM still says that the MM will start upon Windows start up. I then had to fiddle a bit with the "Auto start up ........" option to get Task Scheduler contain the proper info.

Perhaps you need to add program code that checks this info and then updates Task Scheduler with the proper MM info ?

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 02:33:04 AM »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »
Another suggestion: Add a "Run Mini Monitor" option to the CM installation program.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »
Another suggestion: Add a "Run Mini Monitor" option to the CM installation program.

Thats a good idea.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »

And when the use has selected this option, then make the MM open the "General Settings" tab in the "Monitor Settings" GUI.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 12:14:34 AM »
Suggestion: Let CM run the AM after the user has changed something in/closed the Cleanmem Settings Wizard.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 01:35:26 AM »
I added one process to the AM, called "MsMpeng.exe". It's a process/program used by MS Security Essentials and runs under the System Account (SA). I added it the AM to be killed because I already have AVAST AV installed.

I know for certain that CM can clean a process that runs under the SA but can the AM kill a process that runs under the SA ? The AM keeps saying that the process is killed. Perhaps the process is "locked" ? I tried to find how this process gets started by Windows (registry, start up folder, ....) but to no avail.

I installed both Malwarebytes (MB) & MS Security Essentials (MSSE) next to AVAST AV as a backup but switched off the MB & MSSE real time protection. From time to time I run MB & MSSE to see whether or not AVAST has overlooked something.

Perhaps the CM program code needs to be improved ?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »
Doesnt need to be improved. Has to do with permissions. Just like CleanMem cant clean Avast because it doesnt have permission to. It all depends how the process is running and with what permissions are allowed to touch or kill it.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »
Last week I increased the amount of memory in my laptop from 4 GB to 8 GB and I almost directly noticed something interesting as I was watching memory usage. See the picture in the attachment.

When I had 4 GB then Win 7 filled the entire 4 GB with data of some kind. But with 8 GB Win 7 wasn't even able to/didn't fill the entire memory. Win 7 filled some 3700 MB with "Stand-by" data (marked with "3") and there was still some 2300 MB available (marked with "4").

The most interesting thing was that the memory that can be re-claimed by programs (marked with "2") didn't decrease at all or decreased only very very slowly. In the picture it was at a astonishing high level of 300 MB.

When I had 4 GB that part of the memory ("2") always decreased in size fairly rapidly, sometimes down to nearly zero.

This means that the Windows memory management is actually very intelligent. It noticed that I had plenty of free & available memory and then concluded that there was no need or no hurry to decrease the reclaimable memory.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:33:51 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 05:29:51 AM »
Update for my previous post.

After working for about 2 hours, doing several things, opening a number of programs at the same time (e.g. IE9) I noticed that CM kept memory usage surprisingly low (~ 20 % of the total 8 GB). I also noticed that the "Stand-by" (marked "3" in the picture in my previous post) part of the memory had grown to over 6 GB. The free available memory had shrunk to 200 - 150 MB.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
Memory is something that you want to use, you just dont want it filled up to where your system has to start using the page file, which is what slows down your computer. Memory can move GB's per sec where a HD can only do 100 MB or less a sec.

So the more in memory the better. The page file is the killer here. So the Standby is where everything gets moved to when CleanMem runs. If the programs need it back it takes it instantly. If they don't need it it will stay in standby until it does or something else needs it.

This is why I still use CleanMem even on new computers. I like having memory there when I need it, I am just using Windows to work with it a little better than it normally does :-)

Where CleanMem really helps is with programs that have memory leaks (IE Firefox).

My computer has been on and running for 4 days straight as I am running a data recover on a bad drive for a customer and it takes days since the drive is bad. As you can see my Memory totally stays under control :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »
My previous two posts were absolutely not meant as a complaint. I've read the CM story more than once. I totally agree. The pictures actually show that Win 7 has a number of tricks up its sleeves to speed up the computer. And that Win 7 tries to fill the memory as much as possible. Regularly running CM therefore actually helps Win 7 to speed up one's system even MORE. The pictures confirm your story.

There's one other memory related issue. I came across something odd in Piriform's Defraggler. On my XP laptop with a mere 512 MB it showed that it had good memory management. Because it reduced its memory usage significantly after analyzing a drive.
But Defraggler (64 bit) seems to conclude that I have plenty of memory (4 Gb or 8 Gb) in my Win 7 system and then the program doesn't reduce its memory usage in the same circumstances. And a number of other programs seem to have the same attitude.

So, even on a system with 8 GB, CM can be VERY useful !!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:58:33 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
I didnt take it as a complaint at all bud :-)

Just sharing info is all. :wink:

For the machine with 512 mb of ram, it is possible Windows is cleaning it up, hard to tell.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
Then I read to much into it.  :shy:  :cheesy:

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
For a while I watched closely how Windows behaved with this 8 GB and CM installed. I opened a bunch of programs, watched memory usage at the same time. At it certainly seemed that more memory increased speed of opening programs, and of switching between programs. It's not a difference of night and day, but I certainly noticed a better performance. All operations were (a bit) smoother.

What also helped was that (thanks to you) the AV program was less "aggresive".

About Win 7 memory usage:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-memory-usage-whats-the-best-way-to-measure/1786

Another point: The CM hotkey to clean processes now works better since I ditched MS Security Essentials, killed WinDefender and switched to AVAST.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 05:03:42 AM »
1. you've got 8 GB installed. Any idea what would happen when you would install 12 GB or 16 GB ? Would Win 7 fill up all that new space with "Stand-By" memory as well ?  :wink:
2. Currently CM tells me there's a new CM version available when I open the MM settings window. Perhaps CM can show a pop up window as soon as the MM runs and the settings window hasn't been opened ?

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 05:03:42 AM »