Author Topic: Cleanmem v2.4.3  (Read 43966 times)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Cleanmem v2.4.3
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Here're more suggestions for the next CM version:
- Let CM (try to) perform its first clean up (following the AM rules) as soon as the MM starts, before the timers have started counting. Currently the AM waits for the timers to "time out" before the AM responds.
- Let CM (try to) perform a clean up as soon as the user ticks a box in the AM.

(I mentioned the following suggestions before)
- Make the option "Show monitor" (Monitor settings) stand out, because this option rules the greying out of the rest of the tab. I personally would choose - at least - A) but I like B) & C) as well.
  A). Use a different (eyefriendly ?) color (preferably red),
  B). Display the text in one or two fontsizes larger than the other text,
  C). Underline this text.
- Don't save the text (e.g. "1 cleaned") from the column "Results" in the AM to disk. Then the AM won't pull up the outdated info from disk upon start up of the MM/AM. Then the content of the column "Results" is consistent with the text under the rules window ("Last checked: Never"). Display spaces in the column "Results" until the first AM cleanup.
- If a process specified in the AM doesn't run then simply leave the appropriate spot in the column "Results" empty.
- Currently the AM displays the text e.g. "Done (2 Cleaned)" or "N/A (0 cleaned)". Change that into the simple "2 Cleaned" and "0 cleaned".

This could be the final version. Unless, of course, someone finds another bug.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:19:43 AM by Willy2 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Cleanmem v2.4.3
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: Cleanmem v2.4.3
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:55:05 AM »
The screen of my laptop has a resolution of 1366 (l) x 768 (h). But every now and then (about once every two weeks) the MM thinks that the length (or width) of the screen is smaller.
It looks like the MM thinks that the sidebar is active and then shouldn't interfere with it. And that the MM should be moved a little more to the left hand side of the screen upon start up. Weird. At least, that's the most logical explanation I can come up with for this behaviour. Or does CM "doesn't like" the fact that the task bar has been placed vertically on the left side of the screen in Win 7? No, I never use the sidebar (gadget). I always have it "switched off".

What's CM supposed to do in normal circumstances with(out) the sidebar ? I suppose it should be the bottom right hand corner of the screen in both cases.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Sidebar shouldn't matter. The code to pull the screen size also takes into account the taskbar.

I keep my taskbar at the bottom, most of my tech friends say put it at top because it saves how far you have to move the mouse to open new programs since th close button is up top. Thus why apple and linux do it lol.

But I have never had the MM move on me. So I wonder if it is the task bar being on the side that might be doing it.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »
I have the taskbar on the left side of the screen because IE9 places the pane with my favourites (e.g. PcWinTech.com) on the left hand side of the IE window. Then my mouse doesn't have to travel that far across the computer screen.

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I am talking about the monitor that shows how much memory e.g. the file cache occupies.

Perhaps you make CM check at more points in the program if the Monitor is still located in the right hand bottom corner of the screen ?

I noticed something interesting. While a program was running that needed to process A LOT OF files the AM curtailed the file cache. But the surprising thing was that the file cache didn't collapse down to (nearly) zero. Instead, the file cache remained ~ 14 MB in size. Seems Windows doesn't allow ALL the files in the cache to be removed when these files are being used. Seems these files are "locked" somehow.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:30:46 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
I think I came across another bug in CM (v2.4.3). I always install, when ever possible,  a new program version in a new folder, and then the foldername includes the new version (e.g. "...\Cleanmem v2.43"). And as a result of that I know where a small CM bug is/could be "hiding".

I use both the AM and the regular "Clean up" procedure (to clean every process). And I was wondering why the regular "Clean up" didn't occur (thanks to the log file). When I opened Task Scheduler the CM related info pointed to the previous (v2.4.2) version in a different folder. But the problem was: that folder didn't exist anymore !

I think that, upon installation, CM should use a different sequence to write info to the registry, Task Scheduler and to other places. Please check it !!

About the "sidebar" problem in CM: Yes, my current Win 7 does not always "like" the task bar being on the left side of the screen. E.g. "CMD.exe", in certain circumstances, thinks the Task bar isn't located in this spot, moves its window more to the left of the screen and then part of that window is concealed by the Task bar.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:49:51 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
I didnt make cleanmem set to run from the task scheduler like that from multiple locations.

If you are doing that then when you do you need to rename the task scheduler task or delete it. As once it is made it doesnt get overwritten.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:17:47 AM »
There's one more CM believer. A program that finds duplicate files on a hard drive had - in some special circumstances - VERY high memory usage (> 1 GB on my 4 GB system). So, I recommended the developer to use the EmptyWorkingSet() API. And he was truly shocked/surprised how using this API kept memory usage MUCH lower.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
There's one more CM believer. A program that finds duplicate files on a hard drive had - in some special circumstances - VERY high memory usage (> 1 GB on my 4 GB system). So, I recommended the developer to use the EmptyWorkingSet() API. And he was truly shocked/surprised how using this API kept memory usage MUCH lower.

Yeah that is how I keep all my programs cleaned up in memory :-)

Of course a lot of times you shouldn't need to call the API. If you program properly your memory stays low. What happens with most programs is they forget to cleanup after themselves so the code they used is still in memory yet Windows doesn't know to get rid of it yet.

Like this as an example:

Dim sExample As String

sExample = "adsasdgfasdfggjsdfjhsdfgvkasjdfgsakdgfkasjdgfkjsadfgkjsdgfkjsadgfkjasdgfkjsdgfkjsdgfksdgfkjsdfgkjsdfg"

As you can see everything store for sExample is in memory and stays there. TO cleanup after it we clear it out when we are done.

Dim sExample As String

sExample = "adsasdgfasdfggjsdfjhsdfgvkasjdfgsakdgfkasjdgfkjsadfgkjsdgfkjsadgfkjasdgfkjsdgfkjsdgfksdgfkjsdfgkjsdfg"

"Do some work"

"Done!"
sExample = ""

Now we cleaned up what was stored and it was free from memory :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »
The problem was that he used some routines provide by Microsoft. And it seemed those routines "weren't coded too well".

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
MS code that is a memory hog? You dont say.... LOL

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:14:05 AM »
Oooops, I didn't read your second last post. Yes, "cleaning up" strings is certainly a good idea.

The program has another problem. The MS "Move File to Recycle Bin" (sub-)routines are also "a bit slow". The program was optimized for speed but when A LOT OF files are moved to the Recycle Bin, these routines would, step by step, slow down the program, and ultimately it would slow down to a crawl.

Another suggestion for CM's AM:
- Build into the AM a delay of say 1, 2, 3 or 4 minutes between the start up of the AM and the first AM clean up. This would allow the system to perform all the start up procedures (Virus scan, Registry Backup, etc.)
- Or perhaps the AM is able to monitor traffic between the harddisk and the computer's memory. Upon start up of one's computer there's heavy datatransfer from/to harddisk. When the AM has noticed this disk I/O has slowed down then the AM could perform its first (mandatory) clean up.

I have found a neat little program that shows an Icon in the System Tray. The icon "lights up" when there's e.g. disk I/O.

More info at:
http://www.sepago.de/d/helge/2009/10/19/diskled-a-flexible-hard-disk-and-general-system-activity-indicator-system-tray-applet

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »
Perhaps performing a CM's AM "cleanup" during start up of one's computer system isn't such a good idea. Because it could throw the regular Windows start up procedure "off the rails", with a number of unwanted/nasty consequences. So, forget it.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
lol ok :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
Just to clarify: Don't include the first suggestion in the first post of this thread. I had (past tense !!) a shortcut to CM in a "Start Up" folder. And that cleaning of the memory could be the reason why Registry Backup, upon start up, got stuck in a loop with high CPU usage.

Offline Willy2

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 02:44:17 AM »
Here's another way to increase the size of the file cache.
1. Make CM collapse the file cache.
2. Open a CMD.exe window.
2. Type "dir c:\vgx.dll /s /b" and watch the size of the file cache climbing to ~120 MB within say, two minutes.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 02:44:17 AM »