Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Roku Remote Not Connecting  (Read 10727 times)

Offline RemotelyInterested

• PcWinTech Member
Roku Remote Not Connecting
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for making this. You have a great collection of utilities available, but this one would really come in handy right now.

It's pretty unique. There's an AutoIT script out there, but with some buttons missing, and there's Remoku. Then there are the various smartphone apps, of course.

I really like the idea of being able to control the box via a small portable app like this. Great UI and design. It's very nice for 30 minutes of work. I wish I could do that.

I've used Remoku and it's working fine, but I would prefer not to use a browser, so your little app would be perfect. Unfortunately, I can't seem to connect. I have read the only other thread here about a similar issue. It turned out to be the Avast firewall. I'm using Comodo Internet Security on Windows 7.

Just to be sure I disabled everything within Comodo and even exited the program, but with no difference. The status message reads "Status: Error: 10060 - Connection timed out."

I also have the problem the other poster mentioned about not being able to type in the "Roku Name:" field.

And one other thing: when I click "Connect" I can hear a loud disruption on the line that sounds like static. It's brief, just a half second, but it sounds pretty harsh. When I first heard it I thought it was coming from my monitor speakers, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from either my DSL modem or my router.

I'd appreciate any help you can give. I really do want it to work because I've already had one problem with my physical remote and I'd hate to be stuck.

Thanks,
Stephen

PcWinTech.com Forums

Roku Remote Not Connecting
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Roku Remote Not Connecting
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
If the firewall isnt blocking the program then you just need to make sure you are putting the correct IP address of the rouku in it.

The program is very simple, it doesnt a basic winsock (network, and through Windows) connect to the IP you put in it. Once it connects it sends basic text commands. Nothing special. So it wouldn't cause any type of noise. If that happen something else is going on.

If you go to the settings in the roku and see what Ip it has. If you cant do that then a trick is to log into the router and go view the dhcp table. This shows a list of all the local IP's the router has given each device. We would see the roku in there as well.

Let me know how that goes for you :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for responding. I have the address directly from the Roku "About" page in "Settings," so I know it's correct. Also, the Remoku web app can scan and it shows the same IP, as well.

The noise I'm referring to happens immediately when I click "Connect" and it happens every time. It sounds like the old "dialup" modem noise, but very brief and harsh.

The connection problem is probably something to do with my LAN or firewall, but since Remoku is working and I completely disabled and exited the firewall, I'm just not skilled enough at troubleshooting networks to know what it could be. By the way, I'm connected via wired ethernet, not wireless. I didn't find any specific reference to the device in my router admin pages.

There are no settings in your program to adjust, so I don't know exactly what commands it's sending. I don't know if the specific port it's trying to access is still being blocked by the firewall or the router, for instance. Perhaps Remoku is taking a different route since its coming from the browser.

Also, why am I unable to type at all in the "Roku Name:" field and could this be related?"

I'm not that happy with the Bluetooth aspect of the Roku 2XS. It's a real battery drain. Apparently they've changed to a different type (WiFi Direct) for the new Roku Streaming Stick, partly because it doubles the battery life.

Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the app. I really don't want to open a browser window every time I access Remoku or use the dedicated smartphone app all the time, either.

Thanks,
Stephen

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
I wonder if you have something else installed with the network adapters.

Post a screen shot of showing all the network adapters. If your in vista or newer you open the network and sharing center, on the left click change adapter settings. Take a screen shot :wink:

The program uses the default network on the system, so if you have say an old dial up modem connection and the program is trying to use that it would explain the noise and why it isnt connecting :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
Screenshots attached. I wasn't aware that the Roku would show up on the network map, as well. Clicking on it also shows the MAC address, IP address, serial number, and unique identifier. Interesting alternate way of getting to it.

No dialup conncection showing, though.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
Very odd, make sure the manifest file is in the folder with the program as well. And take a screen shot of the program when it fails to connect :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »
This shows the exe along with the manifest file, with the program running. I really like the way it looks.

Do you think it needs to be on the primary partition?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
OK when you click connect it plays a click audio, perhaps that is what you are hearing.

Can you post a screen showing the ip of the roku? So far everything is pointing to the program being blocked. Is the Windows firewall on?

Shane

(About Shane)

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »
I'm using Comodo Internet Security. I created an automatic Allow rule for it so that it would be considered a Trusted application, but it didn't make any difference. Windows Firewall is off.

That sound is definitely coming from the monitor speakers (maybe just the right one). It's probably supposed to be the "click" sound, but it's garbled into loud static instead (some codec problem?). It also happened just now when I clicked the Close (x) button.

I've tried putting it at the root of C drive and also on the desktop and also tried various compatibility mode settings with no luck. I kept the manifest file with it.

I still can't type into the Roku Name field. I don't know what would cause that or if it would be related, but I know the other poster had that problem, too. I don't know how the firewall would cause that, though.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
You have the correct IP, and yes everything you click in the program will make a click sound, for some reason it is not making the correct sound on your system, it is just a wav file that is imbedded into the exe. I attached the wav file it is using.

Do you have a 2nd computer you could try testing the program from?

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »

email