Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Apache performance problem under Windows 7 x64  (Read 5888 times)

Offline dejavuzxy

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Apache performance problem under Windows 7 x64
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »
Greetings Tech Gurus!

So this will be my first post here so if I'm doing something wrong, let me know!

This issue has been bugging me literally for ages. I am running a web server Apache under my Windows 7 64bit Ultimate OS.
My current server components are: Apache, MySQL and PHP, all latest versions.

The problem comes up with scripts like Wordpress, ownCloud, phpMyAdmin, Mollify and all others that require PHP and MySQL connections.

The problem itself: Every time a script needs to access MySQL database (or perhaps it might be PHP related) the scripts in my server are running slow.
Not like really really slow, but for example when testing under Linux OS then the pages are loading more than twice as fast. So for example when under my Windows 7 server it takes 1-2 seconds to fully load a page, under Linux it takes a lot less than 1 second.

Hopefully this gives and overview about the problem itself.
I already have made the changes to hosts file (the IPv6 problem under windows 7 related with web server, comes up when googleing keywords to my issue) so we can rule that fix out right away. (yes, it did help and reduced the load time, but still compared to Linux servers with same scripts, the load times are still slow).
Also, as far as i have reached the depths of settings, i have made all the scripts turning to MySQL to use address "127.0.0.1" instead of "localhost" to prevent resolving (issue similar to described above).

I have tried countless of other "fixes" so to write them all down here is pointless. Perhaps any one of you has encountered similar problem and knows a solution, or we can together troubleshoot it and i can give other information about my server config files if needed.

I, myself, am pretty sure this might be "windows issue" as "funny" as the hosts file issue was, but I'm not smart/dumb enough to find the issue myself. So as a last resort, finding Google useless, i am turning here to hopefully find a solution.

Thanks in advance!

PcWinTech.com Forums

Apache performance problem under Windows 7 x64
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Apache performance problem under Windows 7 x64
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
Windows has always been known to be slower for web servers, this is one reason why Linux is used so heavily, that and it is free lol

I run my sites on Linux so I dont have to much experiences with Windows and Apache, not to mention I dumped Apache for Nginx a long time ago, WAY faster.

But I do know you CAN get it faster. There is just a ton of tweaks that are needed, and I dont have what those tweaks are. I have read tons when working on my own site about it and know there are fine tuning you can do to really increase the speed. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline dejavuzxy

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
Thank you for the response.

It's true, Windows has been considered to be slower, but I myself don't think there are only disadvantages to Windows or Unix servers.
It's a matter of configuration, as you said, both Unix and Windows have its good and bad sides, but overall i believe they really are equal in all matters, it's all about the user.

Anyway it was worth a shot trying here, maybe others have some ideas.

P.S bought your CleanMem as well, loving it so far!

Thanks again and let's keep this discussion open!

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »