Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Question on Detect Multiple Routers ( rfc6752 )  (Read 4983 times)

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Question on Detect Multiple Routers ( rfc6752 )
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »
While I know it does a trace route and looks at the IP Address(es) in the route, is it aware of rfc6752?

For example I point to DSLR (dslreports.com/) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> General Questions -> Questionable IP address outside service provider's gateway

Thanks
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Question on Detect Multiple Routers ( rfc6752 )
« on: December 03, 2012, 04:47:58 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Question on Detect Multiple Routers ( rfc6752 )
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »
No, I just keep it simple. I have it look at the first 3 hops and look for known local IP ranges.

Why do you ask?

Shane
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:53:48 PM by Shane »
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
By ignoring all private IP Address(es) after seeing/detecting any public IP, it would avoid a false positive.

Other than that, to answer your question: I was just wondering.

So, when did you tell the program to only look at the first three hops?

I ask this because of what I saw in the thread at http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,3501.0.html

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:30:27 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »
By ignoring all private IP Address(es) after seeing/detecting any public IP, it would avoid a false positive.

Thats not a bad idea :wink:

So, when did you tell the program to only look at the first three hops?

I ask this because of what I saw in the thread at http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,3501.0.html

Thought I had it at 3 hops, maybe it is 4 after all. I haven't worked on that code in 3 or 4 years since I first made it lol. I haven't had any reason to change it so that's why I haven't touched it in a while.

Trace route isn't perfect but was the only good way to do it. Example some D-Link routers wont show themselves in a trace route, very odd they do that but I tested it and seen they dont show up. SO a lot of times the program wont detect the D-link. Then you have ISP's that have people behind a private network on the ISP side, just like the forum link you posted. Since the hops had 192.168 the program flagged them as possible routers. This is also why the program says "Possible Routers"

One of the MOST common problems users who post here have is the fact they are behind 2 routers. That is why I made the tool and the how to page. When ever I see something I have to do over and over I find a way to automate it. Thus you will notice that with most of my 60+ programs on both my sites :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
Also I point to

DSLR (dslreports.com) -> FAQs -> Verizon Online DSL FAQ -> General -> What is the 10.4.3.1 IP?

as an example of another reason why, you said possible router. ;)

Thats not a bad idea :wink:

You are welcome. :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:49:53 AM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »