Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Netgear N600 Wireless Dualband Router  (Read 15014 times)

Offline clarkfist

• PcWinTech Member
Netgear N600 Wireless Dualband Router
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »
Hey there. I've managed myself into a corner here with my N600's wireless connections.
I've never had a problem with it until now and for some reason it's acting absolutely weird.
(Rundown)
-shut my internet off for the past month (for pre deployment training, not because I'm a non-paying git haha)
-my internet works fine
-my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz broadbands are both operational (at least both lights are showing on the router that they are)
-I can connect my android to the 5Ghz signal
-my laptop will recognize my routers wireless signal for about 15-30 seconds every minute
-the signal from my router varies from 1 bar to 4 bars, and it's sitting right next to my computer so it should always be 5
-every time my signal does pop up my computer fails to connect and gives no troubleshoot results
-internet speed is running great and I have a successful connection when directly connected to the router but I paid for a wireless router..
-AND Netgear wants me to pay $39.99 just for support...

I know it's probably a simple fix but it's been quite some time since I've messed with this Netgear genie program and I have no clue how to work around it anymore.

Appreciate the help in advance

PcWinTech.com Forums

Netgear N600 Wireless Dualband Router
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Netgear N600 Wireless Dualband Router
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Could be a number of things. So we need to see if we can pinpoint which problem it is.

Here are some things to try.

We know the internet works fine when plugged in with a network cable. So now we need to see if it is the wireless in the netgear or your laptop.

1. How does the android do on the wireless? You said it is on the 5ghz. I take it the laptop is on the 2.4?
2. Any 2.4ghz phone or devices will get int he way of the 2.4ghz wireless and make it drop. Try changing the channel that the 2.4 uses.
3. Does the laptop work fine connected to other wireless? Say at a coffee shop or friends house?
4. What antivirus is on the laptop? Reason why I ask is I had a couple of customers who had McAfee installed and their wireless refused to get online until they uninstalled it (I use avast myself)

Well lets cover those bases and see how it goes :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline clarkfist

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
Thank you for the timely response  :smiley:
I went ahead and tested each numbered idea.
Here are my results:

1. My android runs perfect on the 5G connection. ***I did just notice, however, that my phone is failing to recognize the 2.4Ghz network as well. (definitely a router issue?)
2. I set the channel on my router to one no other router in my building is using. Still unable to connect to the network.. Same connection issues as before.
3. Laptop connected fine with other networks and I went ahead and updated my wireless driver to see if there were any internal disputes between outdated programs. Still no results.
4. I have basic Norton Antivirus (which came with the computer) and I also use avast! as well. I temporarily completely uninstalled both antivirus' and still couldn't connect.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »
Never have 2 antiviruses running at a time. Stick with avast :wink:

OK so lets look at the common factor. The android is using 5 ghz and the laptop works fine on other 2.4ghz networks.

So far everything is pointing to the 2.4ghz wireless in the router. Have you checked for a firmware update yet? (May not help but worth a try)

One last thing, when you named the 2.4 and 5 ghz wireless you gave them different names correct? They shouldn't have the same name. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline clarkfist

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »
Haha yeah, Norton was just the original anitvirus. Never had it running after I installed avast!. I just never got around to uninstalling it until now...  :tongue:

Correct. Well, all 2.4G networks except for my own...

Yeah, updating the firmware was my first guess after being away for a month. The only changes in the firmware update though were to add support to the AirPrint feature on ios 6.0 and to support Netgear Powerline devices in the Network Map.
I went ahead and peaked through all the documents downloaded for the update and found that there were 0 script lines that even mentioned the wireless aspect of the router.

And I do have them named differently but only by adding 5G to identify the 5G network. Other than that difference though they do have the same names. (Ex: Clark; Clark 5G)

Just a thought, I know the 5G network isn't controlled by the Netgear program at all. In fact, wanting to just make sure it wasn't the network names, I couldn't even change the name of the 5G network. I guess it's default is to add 5G to the 2.4Ghz network name. Maybe I'm missing a small setting somewhere that's preventing my network to function properlly? Like I said, I have no experience with Netgear systems. Until recently I've always used D-Link.
I even went ahead and checked all of my Gateway settings well and found nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing I could think of that was causing this was maybe my Gateway settings switched back from 'bridge' to 'rout'. But no issues there either...

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »
I like netgear. BUt they have flaws.

On my netgear here at home I kept having to reboot it every couple of weeks. The wireless would stop working. Reboot fixed it.

So I dumped the netgear firmware and put on DD-WRT. Now I rarely have to reboot it. Sometimes I will reboot it about once a month to clear out the route tables store in memory but wireless has been a LOT better since.

AT the same time I turned off my 5ghz since I dont have anything that supports it and I just use the 2.4

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline clarkfist

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 02:01:53 PM »
I keep hearing about replacing router firmware with DD-WRT.
What exactly will that do for me? Or better yet, my routing experience?

I'm thinking my best bet right now is to uninstall the Netgear firmware and reinstall it (maybe with DD-WRT??) and do a hard reset on my router. I'm certainly out of ideas haha.
I at least still have internet. This no wireless thing is just something that's been bothering me all day since I can't find any solutions to it.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
Firmware is just the operating system using the hardware. DD-WRT is a free open source firmware that gives you a TON of control of the router vs the stock firmwares.

So with my netgear the DD-WRT did a better job than the netgear firmware. But if you havent done it before you need to be careful. You do it wrong your netgear becomes a paper weight. But if it has to be replaced anyways then it is worth the shot :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »

email