Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: PC not connecting with Modem...  (Read 5280 times)

Offline AMHood

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
PC not connecting with Modem...
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »
Alright so here is my situation.  I told my neighbor I would help them with their computer problem with not being able to get onto the internet with this on computer.   Back story to when the device stopped working is.   My neighbors son thought they had burned up the small router they had before and just took the router away.  They tried to just plug the desktop straight to the modem since it was the only device they really wanted internet on.  Well the desktop wouldn't receive connection.  About a week or 2 later they decided to put another router in and it still didn't work (even after trying to put the router on the desktop with the start up disk) 
So after finding out about what was wrong I came over to look at it and I went through these steps.

Turned the computer off, then the router, then the modem.  Let it set for a minute or 2 while talking to them.  Turned them on modem first, then router, then computer.   Still nothing

I plugged their laptop into the modem and gained internet access immediately.   

Ran the Disk that came with the router and it was saying their was no network adapter. (not sure why this came up since it worked before)

Ran the start up disk for the router on the laptop and connection through the router it came up right away aswell. 

So I know its something wrong with the desktop and guessing either the Network card went out  or a driver isn't there.  I am currently looking for drivers for the computer (Dell Inspiron 5605)    I don't want to tell my neighbors the Network card is bad if it isn't and them get a new one and then still have this problem.  Any help would be appreciated!

PcWinTech.com Forums

PC not connecting with Modem...
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: PC not connecting with Modem...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
What is the brand and model of this modem?

What is the brand and model of the router?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline AMHood

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
Shoot.  I forgot to get that.  The neighbors are out of town for about a week.  But any suggestions on why they work for the laptop but not the Desktop  (Not using the wireless functions.)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
When you connected the router to the modem did you have the cable plugged into the correct port on the back of the router?

Also when you connected to the router did it hand out a local IP address and could you log into the router itself?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline AMHood

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »
From the laptop I can see the router and its IP. Everything really.  but from the Desktop nothing.  it loads up to 3% of the start disk for the new router and says no network adaptor.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Dont use the disk. Instead try logging into the router through the web browser.

Once you have the desktop hooked up open a cmd.exe window.

In there type in
ipconfig /all

And post a screen shot. :wink:

First thing I am looking for with the screen shot is if the desktop is getting an IP or if the desktop has a static IP enabled that might be the problem.

Lets go from there :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »