Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 and Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G together on the same line  (Read 11386 times)

Offline bobrock4

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Hi all,

I need to have more data power in my house because with a Mac there's no wi-fi signals in the living-room. With a PC windows is possible instead, but I use my Mac to work so I need to take the signal there.

I have bought a Belkin N Wireless Starter Kit (Part n. f5d8636-4 v2) Wireless Router. I have also a Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G Wireless Router that I must maintain because this last one has been given to me from my network operator to manage my Voip phone. So I need to use both of this routers if I should maintain Voip phone and to give more power to my wireless LAN.

Anyone has an idea how could I connect these two router to each other? There are no indications on manuals.

Thanks and Ciao
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:34:24 AM by bobrock4 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
#1 In your Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G Wireless Router go to LAN

#2 Please check if the DHCP Server Enabled or Disabled.

By Enabled, see the sample screen shot at

A http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Pirelli/NetGate_VoIP_v2/LAN_Settings.htm

and or at

b) http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Pirelli/DRG-A225G/LAN_Settings.htm

#3 If the DHCP Server is enabled: What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

Sample screens of other router http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-belkin-f5d8636-4-v2-belkin-firmware
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:19:57 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Which is the current main router that is hooked up and running?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
The OP said the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G Wireless Router.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
All you need to do is have a network cable from the Pirelli plugged into the WAN/Internet port on the back of the belkin (Not in the 4 lan ports).

The belkin will then get an IP from the Pirelli and be online. :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Shane: You claim that
Knowledge should be shared not hidden

and yet you hiding some important info.

How can you say that?

All you need to do is have a network cable from the Pirelli plugged into the WAN/Internet port on the back of the belkin.

Without delay some important missing pieces of info and choice is good.

The OP could do as you suggest  however:

#1 Some routers are really picky about the WAN subnet.

For example: If the LAN IP of the router starts with 192.168.1 and the WAN IP starts with 192.168.1 - after connecting the WAN port to the other router, they would have to change the LAN IP of the router so that it starts with 192.168.2 to get online.

#2 Latter on if they want to allow users from the network of network that spans the globe (other known as the Internet) to connect to them, they would have to send the ports twice through both routers.

Which could be done by port forwarding twice, OR as you recommend on pcwintech.com -> Routers -> Router Help -> How To Setup Two or More Routers Together could DMZ the first router and then forward through the second router).

What you told them to do is The easy in the short term but harder in the long term choice.

The harder in the long term but easier in the long term choice is this way..

#1 Log in to the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G and go to LAN

#2 If the DHCP Server is enabled:

a) Make sure that the DHCP Range does not occupy the full subnet.

b) If it occupies the full subnet, you need to change it so that it does not.

For example if the LAN IP of the router is 192.168.1.1, the Starting IP Address is 192.168.1.2 and the Ending IP Address is 192.168.1.254, you could change the Starting IP Address so that it is 192.168.1.100

c) Make sure your computer is not setup to use a Static IP.

d) Release the IP Address on your computer.

For example if you are on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /release and press enter.

#3 Then disconnect your computer from the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G and reconnect it to the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2.

#4 Renew the IP Address of your computer.

For example if on Windows XP, after you get to the command prompt: Type in ipconfig/ renew and press enter.

#5 In the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 go to LAN Settings.

#6 Where it says IP Address, make that IP Address in the same subnet as the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G but outside of it's DHCP's Range.

For example if the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G is at 192.168.1.1 and the Starting IP Address is 192.168.1.100 and the Ending IP Address is 192.168.1.254, then the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2's LAN IP you could make it anywhere between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.99

#7 Apply/Save your settings.

#8 Release and renew the IP Address of your computer.

#9 Go to the IP Address of what ever you made the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 LAN IP and then go to LAN Settings.

#10 Where it says DHCP Server, change that to disabled.

#11 Connect a free/available/unoccupied RJ-45 LAN port of the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 to one of the free/available/unoccupied RJ-45 LAN ports of the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G.

#12 Again: Release and renew the IP Address of your computer.

#13 As need be if the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G does not have a free/available/unoccupied RJ-45 LAN then:

a) Disconnecting one of the computers from it.

b) Connect a free/available/unoccupied RJ-45 LAN port of the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 to that free/available/unoccupied RJ-45 LAN ports of it.

c) Reconnecting that computer to the network, but this time to the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2.

---------------------------------

To OP if you have not connected the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 to your Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G yet, pick your poison and do it.

#1 Easy now and harder latter on setup.

#2 Harder now and easier latter on setup.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Shane: You claim that

Knowledge should be shared not hidden

and yet you hiding some important info.

What in the world are you talking about?

I simply gave the easier option first to make sure it works. How is that hiding anything? You hide something if someone asks for the information and you say no.

I don't do copy and paste answers.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
I simply gave the easier option first to make sure it works.

If they did not have Internet Access using a wired or wireless connection with that router, then they would want to solve that first before trying add the second router.

Nothing with making sure something works, but it would of helped to say that so that they know that is what you are trying to do and not the only option.

To OP:

Upon reflection, this is what I would do.

#1 Connect the WAN port of the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 to one of the free/available/unoccupied RJ-45 LAN ports of the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G.

#2 If the Pirelli Broadband DRG A225G does not have one, disconnect one of the computers that has a wired connection. You will be able to connect it back online, latter on.

#3 As need be, change the LAN IP of the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 to get online.

#4 Once you know that the LAN port that the WAN port of the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 is connected to works, then pick your poison:

a) Keep your setup that way.

OR

b) Covert the Belkin f5d8636-4 v2 to act as a hub/switch/wap (the directions that I gave earlier in this thread).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:49:51 PM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

email