Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Tracing VOIP traffic  (Read 31973 times)

Offline marcoscu

• PcWinTech Member
Tracing VOIP traffic
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:32:13 AM »
I seem to spend far more time than I would like setting up VOIP devices on the networks I have access to.
A simple and easy to use tool to monitor VOIP traffic through the network would be a boon. Yes, I know it can be done with Wireshark or SIP Workbench. Wireshark although very comprehensive is by no means easy to use and is not designed with VOIP traffic in mind. SIP Workbench is another excellent new application but is not free or even inexpensive to purchase.

I run a support website for users of the Linksys WIP330 wireless IP phone -  http://wip330.110mb.com/ - and I am forever attempting to help people get their phones working. Often the problem lies with the SIPserver not responding to Keep Alive packets.  A simple way to check on this would be a boon.

Any user friendly application that  allows the user to monitor packets to and from a VOIP device from a PC on the LAN would make life easier for me and other VOIP users.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Tracing VOIP traffic
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:32:13 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Tracing VOIP traffic
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
I never tried to program with packet sniffing.

I would need to hunt down some VB source code examples of packet sniffing in order to really make anything that would be of use.

But maybe packets aren't the way to go. Feel free to contact me through my contact form and maybe we can put our heads together to come up with a program that can get what you want done.

Let me know.
Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline marcoscu

• PcWinTech Member
Thanks Shane, I'll do that
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:38:51 PM »
Thanks Shane, I'll do that

Nugmonster

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »
Net Tools is a free program that has many useful tools incorporated into it. Including a packet sniffer and spoofer. Which is what I believe you are asking for. Beware it also has a multiple IP Trojan port hunter which if misused, can get someone into a lot of trouble. If you are a torrent user you can download this program from h33t.com by searching Nugmonster and it will be inside a program package named Hack Tools & more (security testing software). Included in that download is GFI Languard & Cain and Abel which you might also find useful.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »